Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring a datgabase from an external harddrive.

Restoring a datgabase from an external harddrive.

How do I do this?

I have put ACT Pro2012 on a new laptop. My Act data was saved on an external harddrive by the Geek squad. How do I now go about getting this database in place and working on my new laptop (and on my old laptop, once the new Hardrive is installed and I have put the software on that as well)? Thank you for your help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring a datgabase from an external harddrive.

Did they do a backup in ACT! of the databse files? If not. which files did they put on the external hard drive? The most important files are the ADF and ALF files.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

What I am looking at is a series of files all having a .ix extension (mostly).

I should back up a minute. I have found no zip files on this external harddrive. Somehow they just moved ACT onto the external drive (my hard drive crashed after a MS Windows update). So there are a couple of different places shpwing ACT. None have the ADF or ALF name or extension.

Hello chrisparis70,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Can you provide a screenshot of the files listed?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I don't know how to do this. I haven't yet put MS Office on this laptop, and so I can't seem to paste the image.

I was able to load on the old database from a thumbdrive that I had, but the database only goes to the end of October, so I have lost months of information.

[ Edited ]

That's a shame. Can you find how Geek Squad copied your database files? Normally this can't be done if the database is still attached to the SQL Server. That ".ix" extension is not one used by the current versions of ACT!. Hate to see you lose that data.

In regards to screenshots, just use the Snipping Tool (Start Menu > Programs > Accessories), make the screenshot, then save it as a .jpg file. Then click reply (not Quick Reply), and on the toolbar of the reply screen, click the little tree icon (next to the chain link icon) to insert an image.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I will try to do that. However, this computer has Windows 8, and I am still trying how to make sense of it...

Ah, I feel your pain. To find the tool, just go to the metro screen (the one with all the squares) and type "snipping". You can do this to find most anything in Windows 8.

Greig Hollister