Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring a Database

Restoring a Database

I run Act! 2007 v9 on my computer. Recently, my hard drive crashed and I had to completely restore it.  I reloaded Act! onto my computer. When I attempt to restore my database I receive the following error:

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an Instance of an object at C1:C1Zip.C1Zip.open(string filename)at ACT.UI.DatabasemaintenanceDialogs.RestoreDialog.ValidatePassword()"

What does all this mean and, more importantly, how can a fix this so that I can restore my database? This has been going on for almost a week! I am starting to lose my mind.

Thanks.  Mictus

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring a Database

This error can occur if you are attempting to restore a backup from an earlier version. Please see KB Article 14596 for more information.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Restoring a Database

Thank you GHollister for responding so fast...  The version of ACT! that I used to create the database is the same one that I just reloaded onto my computer... sans any updates that have been available.  I updated ACT! as soon as I reinstalled it.  Having said that, I did what you recommended and a get a "database failed to open" error. Do you have any other suggestions?  I am growing more desperate by the moment...

Mictus

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring a Database

Your database may be damaged. Try this:

- From your Windows Start menu, choose Run, and type in actdiag

- When ACT! Diagnostics comes, click Database List

- If you database is on the list, highlight it, then right click on it run the following items one at a time, in this order:

Check Database

Repair Database

Reindex Database

Database Rebuilds: first 3 on the list

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.