Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring a Database

Restoring a Database

Hello:

Our database was not backed up using the proper method (i.e. from within ACT).  We are using ACT Version 8 (2006) Premium for workgroups.    The only backup we have is using Veritas Backup Exec.

I take care of the computers for the company but do not use ACT.

An end user brought to my attention that it looked like the number of contacts in the database had mysteriously been reduced from 5000 to 1500 over the weekend and she had no idea how.  After speaking to the other ACT users, we found that this was true for all users.

I restored the directory the ACT database was in from a Veritas Backup from last Wed, to a differrent directory on the server.  The CFO says that he knows all the records were there Friday, so this copy of the database should have those 5000 contacts.  I have all the files on the Veritas backup, but when I try to do a File / Open from within ACT, and simply point at the restored ADF file....the first time, it threw up an error indicating that it was an invalid file and asked me to send a report to Sage.  After that attempt, it simply opens the database on the server (you can tell because there is history from monday/tuesday of this week  in the contact activity for the first contact displayed).  

Can we use these files .ADF, etc... that we restored from Backup Exec?? 

Else, The CEO has a Replica on his laptop that still shows the 5000 contacts that he must connect inside the LAN to sync.  He has not done so since we discovered this issue.  Can we use this Replica to somehow recover from this dilema?

Thanks,

Joe

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring a Database

Veritas is unliely to have backed up the SQL database properly, so it's unlikely to work.

As to the "replica" - is this a backup or a sync subscriber database? How was it made?

Restoring a Database

Its a sync subscriber database that is on a portable that needs to be on local LAN to sync.  This portable has been out of the office for 2 weeks and won't be back on network until next tuesday.  Its The CEO's PC.  He says he can see all the records.  Can we grab a copy of the sync subscriber database and use it to restore somehow??

The Veritas backup was NOT getting the SQL data at all...  So that data is then unuseable???

Platinum Elite Contributor

To re-create from the remote, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1427...

Tell the CEO to make a backup now from ACT!... just in case.

Backup as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1921...

Automate it as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1921...

Veritas could then backup the file it creates to the corporate backup

Thank You Mike!!!!!

I will let you know how it goes...!