Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring Notes

Restoring Notes

Hi there. I was just able to restore an old database and my templates and contacts restored but my notes did not. Can anyone point me to the right file that I need top locate and where I need to put it for my notes to restore?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Restoring Notes

Depending on the version the notes are part of the database so if you have been able to restore the contacts they are already there. Check the filters on the notes TAB to make sure your are showing all dates.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Well what happened is I had restored this same database before about a year ago, made a bunch of new notes, then had removed ACT but left all files on hard drive. I just reinstalled ACT and restored database and accidently restored the first version of back up instead of the second and I am just trying to find the name or extenstion on the notes file to drop in the current database....if it is that easy?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Does anyone know what file extension is the one that holds notes?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Those notes are gone. Restoring the old backup overwrote the newer files unless you did a restore as and used a new database name. The note are in the same file with the contacts and the file extension is ADF. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes I did a restore with a new name. So in that case am I able to drag that AFL file into the new folder of the new data base restore?

Bronze Super Contributor

I think you mean ALF, not AFL...

Again, the notes are in the database along with everything else - it is an all or nothing proposition.  If the notes are in the database that you are working with, they are there.  If you are working with a database in which there are no notes, there is nothing you can do fiddling with the database files to bring them back.

The database ADF file is the main database file and the ALF is the SQL server log/transaction file for the database - it does not contain  usable data seperate from the ADF.  You cannot "mix and match" ADF and ALF files...