Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring Database from Laptop to PC Daily

Restoring Database from Laptop to PC Daily

I use my laptop with Act during the day and need to backup and restore to pc at night but when i do restore i have to use restore as option and rename databases every time. Is there another way to restore backups without renaming. I am the only user.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Restoring Database from Laptop to PC Daily

[ Edited ]

I've been reading yours and other posts here regarding the best way to work on your data with two different computers (often home and office) and I cringe when I read about moving disk drives, backing/restoring and portable drives.  This is the purpose of synchronization.  At a high level, there is a database on both computers, and they synchronize their changes back and forth.  Application-level sync is even included in the base ACT! product, now called ACT! Pro.  Here is the KB article that explains the setup of sync http://bit.ly/hgLLdd

Yes, it does say it's for syncing with multiple users, but it's also for syncing one user/two computers.

I'm a single user with a laptop and a desktop and it's what I do every day.

You do have to have some form of network connection between the two computers - wireless or wired.  It's not like there's a file that you can copy to a flash drive - ACT! synchronization is a direct communication between the two computers - they have to be able to talk to each other.

For that, you can google "setting up basic networking between two computers" or similar terms - I just did and there are plenty of good articles on accomplishing that.

Signature
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello HalleysLawn,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. I would agree with Kevin that synchronization is a more reliable option for managing your database on more than one machine. In regards to your question, there is not a way to get around using the "Restore As' option when restoring a database on a different machine than the one where the backup was made. You can only do a straight restore if restoring on the same machine.

In regards to syncing, the KB article that Kevin referenced will explain how to setup application sync. In order to sync, you need a connection between your two machines. If your two machines are not networked or you need to sync on the road, then see KB Article 23333 for instuctions to setup Hamachi free VPN for syncing your ACT! database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

thanks for your help. It always helps to hear from someone who has similar issues.