Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring Custom Layouts? Any help appreciated!

Restoring Custom Layouts? Any help appreciated!

[ Edited ]

Hello, Like others, I am {Please keep it courteous} that I cannot install my act 2007 on my new desktop because it has 64 bit Vista. (OK, had to get that off my chest -ha)

Now for 2 questions:

1.) In trying to have a workable solution (using my old desktop on network) I have lost my custom layouts & reports.  I found a 'Help' file on this site that told me of a second location to grab the custom work (Templates, Reports, Layouts etc) and essentually copy the contents of the folders back into primary DB location.

I did that exactly as it stated and the DB would not open up.  Now, I reverted back to a working copy of the DB with no custom template.  I really do not want to screw up my db...could you spellit out what I am supposed to do? (thank you for any help)

2.) I have also had a hard time simply trying to copy my DB to a back up location...I am always getting the 'Cannot copy ___ file because it's being used by another program.  I have gotten around this by copying the folders in safe mode but there has to be a better way...Is there?  (Besides having to buy a new software that will do it for me...)

Thanks a mil for any help that you can offer.

Ross

Message Edited by dlunceford on 08-07-2008 10:10 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring Custom Layouts? Any help appreciated!

MontytheLab wrote:

2.) I have also had a hard time simply trying to copy my DB to a back up location...I am always getting the 'Cannot copy ___ file because it's being used by another program.  I have gotten around this by copying the folders in safe mode but there has to be a better way...Is there?  (Besides having to buy a new software that will do it for me...)

The SQL server has the files open, that 's why you can't copy the files. Use the backup in ACT! to create a ZIP file that you can then copy to the backup location. That will also include the supplemental files such as the layouts.

ACT! 2009 will support 64-bit Vista.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thx for the response..I know that this is quite vague..But I haven't really done anything invasive (disconnected and reconnected to db etc.) and my extensively customized is just gone (poof).   I have gone to 'About Act', then 'Database Info' to find the 'Supplemental File location'  ...The layouts do not appear to be there.

any other ideas where it could be?  I have a TON of work into this layout...tons of custom fields etc...On a side note, I did all of the custom work on my laptop (shared DB)...would it be (or could it be) stored locally somewhere on the laptop?

thx,

Ross

Hello,

Is there anyone that might have an idea for me?  please?

Thx,

Ross

Do I have to pay for a support plan to get a little help with this?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Mothballed wrote:

1.) In trying to have a workable solution (using my old desktop on network) I have lost my custom layouts & reports.  I found a 'Help' file on this site that told me of a second location to grab the custom work (Templates, Reports, Layouts etc) and essentually copy the contents of the folders back into primary DB location.

I did that exactly as it stated and the DB would not open up.  Now, I reverted back to a working copy of the DB with no custom template.  I really do not want to screw up my db...could you spellit out what I am supposed to do? (thank you for any help)

To make any attempt to provide an answer, several additional pieces of information would be required. When you saved your custom layout, did you save it to a different name or just to the same name? Have you tried doing a search of *.CLY if it was a contact layout. If you did not give it a unique name, have you thought about doing a search for the specific layout file and then check the last modified dates? Even with additional information it would likely require direct troubleshooting of you system to find the missing layout.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129