Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring Back-up Data on New Computer ?

Restoring Back-up Data on New Computer ?

Hello,

Could anyone tell me how to restore backed up data on to a new computer.  My old computer had a hardrive failure.  So, I had to download another ACT 2012 version onto another computer.  I am trying to: 1. Find the orginal data copied (mass storage) onto my external drive; and 2. Load the backed-up data.  I cannot locate the data anywhere (just empty folders).

Many thanks,

Steve

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Restoring Back-up Data on New Computer ?

Hello SteveR,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

If you don't have a backup file created through the Sage ACT! backup function, you will need to look for these files:
- 'databasename'.ADF
- 'databasename'.ALF
- "'databasename'-database files" folder

Copy these 3 items to a folder on the new computer, launch Sage ACT! > select Open Database > change 'Files of type' to ADF > locate/select ADF and open. It will create a new PAD file for the database.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response.  Is there a way that I can ACT databases (of unknown name) from my back-up external hard drive?  I typically do a mass storage back up on my western digital unit.  How does this affect ACT database information.  Am I able to identify, retrieve, and restore it?

Thank you,

Steve

Platinum Elite Contributor

Much depends on how you did the backup. If it was using the ACT! backup it would be a ZIP file with your database name. If you did the backup using a form of a copy command and you didn't stop the SQL server first then the database files wouldn't be copied. The most important files have the extensions ADF and ALF.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129