Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring 2008 to 2011, and 2008 not compatible with 64-bit OS

Tuned Listener

Restoring 2008 to 2011, and 2008 not compatible with 64-bit OS

[ Edited ]

I have a similar challenge.  My laptop crashed. WhenI installed my new ACT! 2011 pro and tried to restore my ACT! 2008 Premium data, it would not let me restore.  When I tried to reload my ACT! 2008 Premium, the laptop I am running on would not run on anything other than 64-bit (I am running Windows 7).  Does it mean, I am in a deadend?

[Edit: Changed subject to match issue]

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Restoring 2008 to 2011, and 2008 not compatible with 64-bit OS

Hello GeorgeTang,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

That is correct, ACT! 2008 is not compatible with a 64-bit operating system.  Since you have Sage ACT! 2011 (is 64-bit compatible), you may want to concentrate on getting the database opened in the 2011 version.

- What is happening when you attempt to restore the database?

- Are you attempting to restore from a backup made through ACT!?

- Are you attempting to open the database after copying the files to the new computer?

- Error message?

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Greg, thank you for replying to my message so quickly.

1, I completed the installation of ACT! 2011 and tried to restore the database from 2008 backup file (.WinRaR.zip file) and failed.

2.  What can I do now?  I have been ACT! user almost from day one.  When one of my instructor told me his friend developed this great contact manager.

3.  If I have to input these contacts one by one, what should I do other than backing up?  Is that any other way to back up in other format without heavily relay on the ACT! program and I can migrate my data both ways?

Tuned Listener

Greg, I found a small comfort among all these disasters happened recently.  I search my files and found an EXCEL file I exported from the previous version 2008.  I cleaned it up and imported to the 2011 with a bit of mapping, I recovered most of my data.  Of course the most recent one I did not backed up were all gone.  At least I don't have to input everything again.

So now, besides backing up, I will also export the file as well.

Platinum Super Contributor

Glad to hear you found the Excel file to get back up and running.

For the original backup - you didn't mention which method you were using to restore the file. The correct method is to use the File > Restore > Database > Restore As option. If this is the method you were using, what is the error you are receiving?
Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Sorry, I forgot to answer that one.  Yes, I did try the "Restore as" and it did restore.  However, when I tried accessing the backuped file, it came as the file was saved on the previous version and could not be read on 2011.  The came back the issue - 2008 is not running on 64bit.

Now my resolution to myself and anybody who might be interested:  back up with the system as usual.  Then do the export to Excel.  I will store both files offsite from my laptop.  I am also thinking sync with Outlook and back up and store off site as well.