Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restore noat working on new computer

Restore noat working on new computer

I am upgrading processor and operating system: Dell 8500 to Dell XPS, Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. I am using Sage ACT Pro 2013 and both systems are running side by side. I backed my Act data base on old system, copied zip file to DVD and transferred it to desk top on new system. The ACT 2013Pro had already been installed on the new system. I opened Act on new system, selected “file”, selected “restore”. Then selected “database”. Restore Database window opened. Selected “Restore” then “OK”. Another window for Restore Database opens asking for me to browse to location of Restore database zip file, I browse to desk top and select file loaded from DVD, the select “OK”. "Log on to" window opens asking for a name for the database to which I enter “database” and a password for the database for which I enter “12345”. I leave unchecked the box to remember the password and select “OK”. Select “yes” in the next window. After a green bar goes across a new window I get the message “ Access to the path ‘C\Users\Charlie\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases’ is denied.” I select “OK” and windows closes. I am back at opening of ACT with “Welcome!”.Help please

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restore noat working on new computer

You must use Restore As and give the database a new name on the new computer. Restore only works on the computer where the backup was made.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Restore not working on new computer

Thank you Roy. I got a little further this time.  I typed in my name for user name and left password  blank as I did not use a password.  I go the followingmessage:  "Could not authenticate user. Verify the user name and password, and try again".

Where would I find the user name? I didn't use a password.  Help again

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you have the old machine available open ACT! and check Tools | Manage Users.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you for all your help.