Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restore issues

Restore issues

I hope this isn't redundant....  I'm running ACT! 2008 on a notebook with XP and data encryption.  I want to move one of my databases from that machine to a Windows 7 notebook.  I installed the same version of ACT! on the new notebook.  I backed up the database to a CD, but the .zip file won't open on the new notebook.  There are two older databases that were ported over from the old to new notebook that will open.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Silver Contributor

Re: Restore issues

Other than the potential issue that ACT 2008 isn't supported on Win7, I'd look at the properties on that file.  Most likely , putting it on the cd changed to a read only file. You would be able to change the properties of the file back.  If you backed up directly to the cd from teh other machine rather than saving to the hard drive and then copying to cd, you may have a corrupted file on your hands. This would require redoing the backup.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks John.  Should have stated that I first tried the restore from the CD, which is where I've been backing up for months, but never tried to restore to see if it was working. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Quick note: when restoring a backup file from a cd - copy it to the local hard drive first.

Greg Martin
Sage