Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Restore from backup

Copper Contributor
Posts: 7
Country: USA

Restore from backup

A client of mine was given some bak files by their former company. Assuming all the information sharing is on the level from a legal perspective, they've asked me to try to give them access to their data.

What's the process? They're not tech savvy, so I'm not sure I can find out too much information from them. They seem to think they were using web access.

Do I need to purchase a copy of ACT! to get their data for them? Does it matter which version, or am I safe just going with the most recent version?

Thanks much,
Steven
Nickel Elite Contributor
Posts: 595
Country: USA

Re: Restore from backup

A backup of the ACT! database would be a ZIP file. I have no idea what might be in a BAK file or how to extract it.
 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 511
Country: Belgium

Re: Restore from backup

a BAK file could be a SQL Backup of the database. But to do that, you need to have access on the SQL Instance by using the SA Password.

What I'd try is to restore the BAK file in a local SQL Instance. When the database is restored, you should have the ADF and the ALF files. Detach your database from the local instance, and open the ADF file with Act to rebuild other files and folders (PAD file, database-files folder,..)

But if it is the case (SQL Backup), that means that the backup contains the database only, not all associated files like attachments or layout!

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Copper Contributor
Posts: 7
Country: USA

Re: Restore from backup



Royel wrote:
A backup of the ACT! database would be a ZIP file. I have no idea what might be in a BAK file or how to extract it.



Well, they actually did provide me with a zip file, but upon poking inside it I didn't see anything that looked like conventional database files, as I know them. I did, however, see the .bak files I mentioned.
Copper Contributor
Posts: 7
Country: USA

Re: Restore from backup



m4y wrote:
a BAK file could be a SQL Backup of the database. But to do that, you need to have access on the SQL Instance by using the SA Password.

What I'd try is to restore the BAK file in a local SQL Instance. When the database is restored, you should have the ADF and the ALF files. Detach your database from the local instance, and open the ADF file with Act to rebuild other files and folders (PAD file, database-files folder,..)

But if it is the case (SQL Backup), that means that the backup contains the database only, not all associated files like attachments or layout!


Bingo! (thanks!) I restored the bak files using SQL 2005, and I can "see" everything. Of course I'm seeing everything in raw data format. Is there any way I can re-load the db into an ACT program? Is it as simple as purchasing ACT and then doing a restore from within the program? Or simply linking the program to the now-restored db? Thanks in advance, Steven
Nickel Elite Contributor
Posts: 595
Country: USA

Re: Restore from backup

There is a trial version of ACT! available, check the Knowledge Base for document ID 21988. I would suggest that you use the ACT! 2008 Premium EX version and then do a Restore As. If it is an earlier version, it will update to ACT! 2008. However, unless you know the user name and password for the database, you won't be able to do the restore.
 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,384
Country: Australia

Re: Restore from backup



Royel wrote:
There is a trial version of ACT! available, check the Knowledge Base for document ID 21988. I would suggest that you use the ACT! 2008 Premium EX version and then do a Restore As. If it is an earlier version, it will update to ACT! 2008. However, unless you know the user name and password for the database, you won't be able to do the restore.

Roy, I think, if it's an earlier version database, you can't just restore and convert (wish it did)... unless this has changed with ACT! 2008, you need steps like this ACT! Knowldge Base article for ACT! 2007 - http://tinyurl.com/236p29
New Member
Posts: 1
Country: United Kingdom

Re: Restore from backup

I've got exactly the same problem. I've got .bak files but no zip file. i cant get ACT V10 to load the file. I don't know how i managed to cause the problem, but my original machine has died and i ned to get my file working again. Also i have no idea about how to get SQL 2005 to work around the problem as mentioned above. If anyone can help sort the problem i'll pay them for their time! desparate.

 

email me at aaron@soessential.com thanks

 

Aaron.

Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,384
Country: Australia

Re: Restore from backup

Your best bet might be to get a local Consultant from this list - www.act.com/acc

 

Make sure you ask them if they know how to access SQL or even point them to this thread before commissioning them. Not all ACCs are technical at that level.