Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restore db

Copper Contributor

Restore db

Using ACT2013 Pro. Only user is myself. Have synched main db with a remote on my laptop. Can't open db on my desktop. Check and repair can't be accessed. The remote on my laptop has the same info as my desktop. Check and repair works on that. Is there anyway I can restore the main db using the remote db on my laptop. I've tried syncing which worked before but now can't access the main db.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Restore db

Can you open the ActDemo database on your desktop?

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Yes I can open the ActDemo db. I renamed it to personal contacts db when I was doing some experiments several years ago.

Silver Super Contributor

Basically you need to promote the remote DB to a publisher database and then create a new remote database.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

Stan,

Thanks for your suggestions. As it turns out I was able to repair my db. I leave this info for other readers who might have experienced this problem. You know this already, I'm sure. I am a single user of ACT 2013 Pro. I sync my desktop db with my laptop. I was unable to access my desktop db but my laptop worked fine. So they are basically the same. One solution I came up with was to back up my laptop. I took that zip file and renamed it the desktop db name. I restored the desktop db with that backup file. it worked fine but I had to use another name for the file so I just added a two to the name. Opened it up and it worked fine.

But I didn't like the fact that my computer was beating me so I pressed on. I looked at many docs on the Swiftpage KB. Two docs that really helped were: 31714 single mode user that allowed me to unlock the file and 28141 that has the DB Fixer file. This second file repaired and updated my sql server. After running that I could open the file in ACTDIAG and repair it. Previously actdiag wouldn't even recognize the db.

Hope that helps someone else.

Silver Super Contributor

Glad to hear you were able to repair it!

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

REMorgan wrote:

Stan,

Thanks for your suggestions. As it turns out I was able to repair my db. I leave this info for other readers who might have experienced this problem. You know this already, I'm sure. I am a single user of ACT 2013 Pro. I sync my desktop db with my laptop. I was unable to access my desktop db but my laptop worked fine. So they are basically the same. One solution I came up with was to back up my laptop. I took that zip file and renamed it the desktop db name. I restored the desktop db with that backup file. it worked fine but I had to use another name for the file so I just added a two to the name. Opened it up and it worked fine.

But I didn't like the fact that my computer was beating me so I pressed on. I looked at many docs on the Swiftpage KB. Two docs that really helped were: 31714 single mode user that allowed me to unlock the file and 28141 that has the DB Fixer file. This second file repaired and updated my sql server. After running that I could open the file in ACTDIAG and repair it. Previously actdiag wouldn't even recognize the db.

Thanks for this information as I experienced that same problem yesterday. 

I can log into an old version of the DB, the current DB on the Sync server, the Sample DB form the original install on my PC, but not the 'remote primary DB' on my PC

REMorgan wrote:

Stan,

You posted:  " Two docs that really helped were: 31714 single mode user that allowed me to unlock the file and 28141 that has the DB Fixer file."

Can you give me a link to those files as I keep getting rerouted to a SAGE website

Thanks

Stan;

Can you post links to either of the two articles mentioned in this thread,: "31714 single mode user that allows the user to unlock the file," and "28141 that has the DB Fixer file."

I keep getting rerouted to a SAGE website

Thanks

Bronze Super Contributor

You need the new SP KB website which is:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/list/kw/31714/

and

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/list/kw/28141/

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507