Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restore as. Act V8.0

Copper Contributor

Restore as. Act V8.0

Dear All,

I really hope you can help. When I try to restore a backup of my act database to a new PC it does not work. I use restore as and enter in the correct password. The computer then spends about 10 mins unzipping the files creating the correct folders but then I get a very long error message talking about corrupt strings and such. It then just goes back to restore as page....
it seems to restore most of the reference files but fails to restore the ADF and ALF files

Please help this is really really scary...

Thanks.....
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Restore as. Act V8.0

Sounds like a corrupt backup, do you still have access to the old PC?  Can you screenshot the message and post it here pls.

Tom
Platinum Elite Contributor

You might try thise ACT! knowledge Base articles:

If they don't help:
Also, how big is the ZIP file?
What is the version/build of ACT! from Help | about
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the replies.......

I found a script on this forum that stop the SQL and makes a copy of the database without zipping it............

I ran the ADF from a new machine and it worked........

As for the Act! Built in backup.........A big pile of doo doo........Very sloppy Sage........
Nickel Elite Contributor

FYI, the built in backup in the ACT! Program is licensed from WinZip. Moving the database as you did does not include the supplemental files such as the templates and reports. In my work I use Restore As several time each week and the only time that it fails is if the backup is corrupts or if I try to do a Restore As to a different version of ACT! than the one it was backed up in.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Royel wrote:
FYI, the built in backup in the ACT! Program is licensed from WinZip. Moving the database as you did does not include the supplemental files such as the templates and reports. In my work I use Restore As several time each week and the only time that it fails is if the backup is corrupts or if I try to do a Restore As to a different version of ACT! than the one it was backed up in.

Roy, If it's the script I posted, it will include the supplemental files... actually, it includes all databases and their supplemental files if used as I posted.

How do you find the "Restore As" option all I see is "Restore"