Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restore Database Error 'Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

I have set the UAC to the lowest setting, Logged onto Act as "Run as Administrator" and still get the error message when trying to restore database.

thanks

Neal

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Restore Database Error 'Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

Questions - is this a 

Restore - in place of a damaged database.

Restore as - new name for recovered database

Restore remote - New database for a laptop etc to sync.

Is the ACT version numbers the same on machine restoring as the one it was backed up / cut  from?

Are you able co run the demo database / any other act database from this machine?

Re: Restore Database Error 'Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

The ACT version on laptop is ACT v18 update 4; not sure about the backup other than it was a backup using ACT V18.

So I am trying to restore the backup which is a database not currently on the laptop.

any suggestions to get rid of the error and restore the database.

Bronze Super Contributor

And can you run the demo database or create a new test database?

Can not restore the backed up database with the Demo database open.

Can create a new database with the main database I use.

The default path is: C:\Libraries\Documents\Act File\Act Data\ Databases

When I try to export to Excel using this same path the .pad file is not showing

The attached shows the First image of the path when searching for the export database to send to Text delimited file

The second image on the attached is the path and it shows the .PAD visible.

What's happening.

thanks

Administrator

Hi Neal,

What kind of file is your backup? If it's a zip file, can you open it and make sure that it does not contain another zip file?

At what point exactly is the error occurring? Please could you give detailed steps on how you are restoring the backup?

In regards to your screenshot, I'm not sure what you are trying to show here. The two images are of different folders. The first image shows the database files folder for the Helath_Services_Investors database, and the second shows the main database folder where all the different database .PAD files are contained along with the aforementioned database files folders.

Gary,

The Zip database was expanded and no zip files within.

It contained about 4900 items which are the ACT files,

word documents, and .iml and .ima files.

This is the procedure I followed to Restore:

ACT RESTORE STEPS: 

Open ACT>Select File>Select Restore>Select Database>Restore Database Window Opens>Choose Restore>Ok>Select Location of Database to Restore>Opens>Restore Database Window Opens>Click OK>Logon to Window Popup>Enter User Name and Password> Enter.

I get the Error Message "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object"

I did create a backup of my one database and then immediately restored it successfully without errors.

The two pictures previously attached were to show the path to get to the database when wanting to export ACT as an Excel file.

In the one screen shot the PAD file is visible, in the other screen shot which is the path I'm following to export the PAD is not visible.

The ACT consultant who converted me to ACT 18 is in another state and this backup file is the ACT V18 file she created from the older version.

STEPS TO EXPORT CONTACTS TO EXCEL  Issues with exporting.

Open Act>Choose Export>Export Database>Select Text Delimited as Type File to Export>Browse to Location of Database to Export>Libraries>Documents>MyDocuments>Act File>Databases>Database toExport>(there is no .PAD to select. However if not following the export steps, the .PAD file in visible to select. (that’s the difference in the file path of the two pictures previously sent over.

Administrator

Hi Neal,

A normal Act! backup zip file looks like this inside:

explorer_2017-02-03_12-13-40.png

Does the backup zip file you were given look like this?

When exporting as a Text Delimited file, the Export Wizard will prompt you choose a location and name for the exported.txt file. This is done when clicking the Browse button, and can be seen in the screenshot below:

Act!_2017-02-03_12-20-58.png

There is no need to locate .pad files in this process.