Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Resolution of the Dependency Failed, Type = "Act.UI.ActApplication" after hiding folders

Skilled Commentator

Resolution of the Dependency Failed, Type = "Act.UI.ActApplication" after hiding folders

I have the latest Pro version and Windows 10. I was in my main folder where  I selected view, hide folders. I have done this in the past and it's a very basic thing. However, this time it did ask me about folders and subfolders. I selected yes. It took about 3 minutes and had a cancel option. Big mistake. 

After I did this Act wouldn't open as well as OneDrive and I could not open the Control Panel. I did a system restore and still have the issue with Act as well as an error with Quicken if that helps. I tried the options I saw provided about fixing the .NET Framework but got errors with that as well once I could get into the Control Panel. I"m stuck. 

I'm attaching all the error messages I got in case it may help from Act to the repair attempt for Framework. I tried to also reinstall Framework but it just didn't even open. 

Please help. This just happened out of the blue and I'm very dependent, sadly, on this program. 

Thanks

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Resolution of the Dependency Failed, Type = "Act.UI.ActApplication" after hiding folders

You appear to have lost access to some areas of your preferences and this seems wider than just the ACT part.

Link on rebuilding preferences

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770/~/how-to-rebuild-the-act!-preferences-file

The following is NOT Recommended unless desperate - A possible brute force fix is to go to 

C:\users\misti\appdata and right click on Roaming

Under properties select security and add Everyone with Read Wright and also save to all sub folders.

Skilled Commentator

Re: Resolution of the Dependency Failed, Type = "Act.UI.ActApplication" after hiding folders

It worked! I had to do the Manually Rebuilding Preferences option but it did work. Thanks a ton. 

The desktop icon has the admin looking shield on it but it opened and closed fine. Also, when I restart my computer and when I attempt to open Act, I get a Windows dialog box about allowing Act to run and open. It's quite annoying but started when I installed on this new computer. That didn't seem to have any affect though after trying this fix. If you have any clues on that though, I'd love to stop it from happening. 

Thanks much!

Bronze Elite Contributor

Glad that worked. Regarding the Run dialog this is because you are running ACT in administrator mode. Personally I would leave it like this and put up with the opening dialog but to turn it off right click on the ACT icon, go to properties, compatibility, and see if run as administrator is ticked at the bottom.

Skilled Commentator

Wonderful. Thanks. Yes, the pop up happens when I restart my computer and again when I open Act. It's annoying yes but not the end of fhe world obviously. 

Skilled Commentator

Ok, I"m back and hoping you may be able to help or I can start a new thread. I tried a search by first name and this came up. Any ideas?

I"ll post new if you think better. 

Bronze Elite Contributor

First try re-indexing -

Tools - Database Maintenance - Check and Repair - Tick both boxes and then OK

Skilled Commentator

Sadly, no. New error attached.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Have looked more closely at error and it is referring at 1 point to saved preferences area. Do you get this error on all look-ups or just the First Name?

Employee

[ Edited ]

Do you get the same error when performing a lookup in the demo database? 

If this is the same machine where the initial changes were made - you mentioned you were 'in my main folder'.  Which folder was this specifically?

Referring back to the lookup - do the following searches work?

Universal Search (top right - see attached)

Lookup (left stack tab - see attached)

It could be that the permissions have changed for the folder:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local and subfolders