Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reports Designer - Activities

Reports Designer - Activities

Hello All!

I am trying to create a report that groups the "Regarding" field within Activities.  My goal is to view all grouped Regardings within a time period.  I just can't seem to figure how to edit the Activites report to do this...if it is even possible.

The Activities report groups by Contact with a sub report on the contact's activities listed in order by Type-Date-Time-Duration-Priority-Regarding-Scheduled for.

Is there any way to make this report group or sort by the "Regarding" field in Activities?  I am not even concerned with the actual contact associated with the activity...only the "Regarding" field.  Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated and save me a tremendous amount of time every week.

Thanks and Have a GREAT day!

--Dave

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Reports Designer - Activities

In ACT! 2008, you can sort by any field using the following steps:

- In Report Designer for the Activities report, in upper left, change the report to ContactActivities

- When the ContactActivities subreport comes up, go to menu and click Edit/Define Sections

- When the Define Sections dialog box comes up, click on Section 1 in the left pane

- You will get a list a fields you can sort by...choose the Regarding field, click OK and save the report

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for the help!  I do no see Section 1 in the left pane.  I see:

Report header

Pager Header

- Section 3

- Section 3 Header

- Detail

- Section 3 Footer

Pager Footer

Report Footer

If I click on Section 3, there are no fields listed to sort from.  I have Act 2007.  Could this be the issue?  Can this be done using Act 2007?

Thanks again for the help.   It is extremely appreciated!

What you want to do can't be done with the ACT! report editor. There isn't any provision for an activity-centric report which is what you describe. You can sort the activities within an activity subreport though the use of sections. In the case of ACT! 2007 you would need to do this by adding the section that you need with regarding defined as the sort field and then specify the sort type, ascending, descending or none. With ACT! 2008 you have the ability to simply change the sort field for a section after the section has been added.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

What you described will only sort the content of the subreport, not the whole report which is what was requested. Also, what you described would only work with ACT! 2008.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for th info!  That''s ok.  Yes I wanted to sort by the regarding field in the Activity report.  I currently use ACT to run a staffing agency which I started up.  I entered all my clients in the regarding field.  So when I book a temp, I schedule them for the activity - regarding the client they are at.  I can look at my calander and see everyone I have out and where they are at.  I then use the calander for billing my clients.  I currently manually go through the calander every 2 weeks and just write the dates on a piece of paper. It would be nice to just open a report and sort by the Regarding field (which would show all my clients who have used temps) in a chronological order so I could easily use that report for billing.

It hasn't been much work, but my company is getting larger and it is taking more time.  I would love to see a future enhancement in ACT to incorporate more options for the reports! 

Thanks again for all the help!