Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report writer choice

Copper Contributor

Report writer choice

For more complex ACT! reports, those than cannot be accomplished in Excel, and given the obtuseness of ACT!'s report writer, what is the report writer of choice? Do more use Crystal? Or is Stonefield Query for ACT! a better choice?
Greater Chicago area ACC
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report writer choice

In my opinion, unless a report simply can't be done in the ACT! reports, the ACT! reports are you best choice. The underlying report generator is very powerful and the ability to extend the capabilities of the report templates through the use of VB script programming makes the ACT! reports very powerful. I have also used Crystal reports to get around data sourcing limitations with the ACT! reports But there you have a limitation through the OLEDB interface of being unable to access the activities in the ACT! database. I have also used Stonefield in the past and if you limit yourself to reports that can be created using their wizard, great. But if you needed to go beyond the capabilities of the wizard, Stonfield was very hard to use. Again, it's my opinion.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

Hey twieczorek

I use to use Crystal Reports because I find it to be much more easier and user friendly but maybe because I've been using it for a long time now. Our company has started to use ACT for different departments because Stonefield Query in a lot of ways is a more user-friendly database reporting software tool.  And most people find it easier to utilize because of the step-by-step wizard that makes reporting very easy.

Message Edited by menexis on 04-03-2009 03:06 PM
Tuned Listener

ACT Report Writer page BLANK

I am really so very tired of trying to get ACT Report writer to behave. I duplicated a WORKING Report, took out the Detail in Section 3 and replaced it with new data fields.  IT WILL NOT RUN!!!  They are just DATA FIELDS!  The only sub-reports are history which RAN FINE in the Report I copied.  I have tried every combination of activity type, etc. Any suggestions (other than to get STONEFIELD which is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE?)

Re: ACT Report Writer page BLANK

Without examining the template I wouldn't be able to guess what might be causing your problem.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT Report Writer page BLANK

I've actually found Stonefield to be excellent value for money actually.

Powerful, easy to use, well worth what they ask for it.

Bronze Elite Contributor

... and for completeness there is Smart Dash for ACT!  Alternatively if you just want a very specific report we can create an html report for you. You can't say ACT! isn't well supported for reporting Smiley Happy

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

I fins your choice of adjective to describe the ACT! report writer a bit strange. The ACT! reports are extremely flexible and can be used for most reporting needs. I would agree to non-intuitive and poorly documented by sage but not obtuse. There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclosure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.

As to third party report writers: of course there's Crystal Reports but that has a truly steep learning curve. Stonefield query has a wizard to aid for moderately complex reports but does have its limitations and if you need to switch to advance mode is very difficult to work with. It's also very expensive. My choice when the ACT! report writer reaches a limitations is the Durkin Impact reports. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Durkin Computing has developed Impact Report Designer v4,  a no-compromise reporting tool for ACT! designed around the ACT! database. No need for data-dictionaries or complicated connection strings. Install, enter password and start designing reports in minutes.

To learn more check out : http://durkincomputing.com/ACT-Addons-Report_Designer.aspx

At this time we have over 50+ pre-designed reports with more being created. Let us know your report needs. We could design one for you. Download new reports using the "Download From Web" feature.

Here are a few sample reports:

http://community.act.com/sage/attachments/sage/addon/94/3/Activities_closed_by_User_with_rates_Scrip...

http://community.act.com/sage/attachments/sage/addon/94/1/Opportunity_Closed_Pivot_User_Process_and_...

Thanks Roy! 

-- Jim Durkin

DurkinComputing.com