Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report "Field" Margin left adjustment

Tuned Listener

Report "Field" Margin left adjustment

I have a simple report that prints out the members of a group and several contact fields for each member.  I need the individual members and each field to appear as if they are in a gridded table so I created a box around each field.  This works fine, but the Data is snugged up to the left of each grid cell and it is hard to read.  The properties box includes a left field margin option, but every time I enter a value in the left margin box, it stays at "0" and places the value into the right margin box instead.  Is there a way to have the data offset from the field box so it is more readable?

Perhaps there is a better way to create the horizontal lines (below each group member) and the vertical lines (between each field).   That would accomplish the same thing, but I cant find a way to do that. Can someone suggest a good book on advanced act customization?  thanks

Steve

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report "Field" Margin left adjustment

The field left margin setting changing to right margin is a bug in the ACT! report editor. The underlying report engine can execute the command correct but the only way to invoke it is to directly edit the template XML code. I've done that on several reports where I needed the field left margin. For labels, I typically just pad the label tect with a leading space.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Thank you.. Where do I edit the xml code for that report. I thought act would store it with the database, like "myreport.xml" but I do not see it.  I know I can just center the data, which makes it easier to read, but it looks unprofessional.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

It's the XML code of the report template itself, it can be viewed using notepad. Warning when you work with the template XML code directly it's very easy to corrupt the template making it unusable.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129