Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report - how can I get sub-groups to appear

Tuned Listener

Report - how can I get sub-groups to appear

I thought I had worked it out, but no.

I need help please - I am trying to create a report that has the sub groups appear on it.  If I choose the Group Membership and "All Groups" that's what I get, but I would like to create a report that just has one particular group and it's sub groups.  When I run this report all I get is a blank.

Also, how do you sort by say Country and then contact name.  It appears correct on the sort option in the custom layout, but when it is reported it goes back to just the contact in alphabetical order.

Can you please refer me to some good help in the knowledge base perhaps.

Many thanks

Shirley

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report - how can I get sub-groups to appear

There isn't any automatic way to do that. You would need to make a lookup of the main group and each of the subgroups and then run the report for the current lookup. Hint Start the main group name with a unique prefix and use the same prefix at the start of each subgroup name for the subgroups of that master group. For example ABC - Main group. ABC - First subgroup, ABC - Second subgroup, etc. Then a lookup of groups name Starts With ABC would find the master and all subgroups.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Thank you very much - it has worked and I can now see the sub-groups.

BUT

How do I choose the order that they appear on the report.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency with this - it isn't under Contact name, title of group, country, etc... where do I state the order.

I have done a sort - but that doesn't seem to make any difference either.

Hopefully you will be able to assist again.

Kind Regards

Shirley

If the report has a built in sort, that will take precedence. Other wise, you need to run the report with the option current lookup for the presort to work.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

I'm afrraid I'm just not getting this - how do I find the "built in sort" of a report? 

I am running the option of current lookup - but it doesn't print out in the order that it is showing in my group detail list??

I do really appreciate your help here - I've spent many hours reading and looking and you have solved some of my problems so easy - THANK YOU!

Regards

Shirley

Unfortunately there isn't any comprehensive documentation on the ACT! reports. There are several KB documents but they are mostly single subject information and not much help for trying to get a broader perspective. I've worked with reports for several years and most of my knowledge about the ACT! reports comes from general familiarity with how report editors work and a lot of experimenting with the ACT! reports. I guess this is the long way to say that your question now doesn't have a simple answer.

Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Some resources for learning about ACT! reports and creating reports are in the Sage Knowledge Base for instance; How to Manage Reports in ACT!  and

Report Properties Explained  There is also the ACT! Quickstudy Guide available from ACT! Consultants, it has a chapter on Running & Designing Reports and includes a little on scripting reports.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog