Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report could not be opened by ACT! WIN XP PRO

Report could not be opened by ACT! WIN XP PRO

I just installed ACT Pro 2011 on a XP PRO PC. When the user attempts to run any report, we get the following error: Report could not be opened by ACT! If I change the user's rights to administrator, the report engine operates correctly. Put them back as a Power User and the same error occurs. I have gone into the various components of the software package and issued the user full security rights to each module and am still having the problem. We like the program, but we can't issue all users administrative rights to use this software. The PC is a member of  AD, but all other programs operate correctly on the PC.

Hope you can help, we love the software!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report could not be opened by ACT! WIN XP PRO

Hello glennw,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community. When you say you granted full permissions for the user to various software modules, did that include the directory where the database report templates are stored?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig,
I just checked and see that I had set up that folder as a share, full access for everyone. I just removed the share and gave the user full access. I will have her try tommorow and update you with the results.
Thank You for the prompt reply.
Glenn

Hi Greig,
No luck. Same problem. I am now going to install SP1 in hopes that it will repair the problem.
Thanks,
Glenn

Update! I had the user enter into the report folder and double click on any report and this is the error she got "The report contained unrecognized elements and could not be opened" I try it as administrator and it opens for editing. I see on another thread, someone else had this same error on a Win7 box. They re-installed the software and all was ok. My question is why will it work properly when the user is granted administrator rights?