Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report conversion from version 6

Report conversion from version 6

Good day.  I am evaluating a trial copy of version 11.0 on a Windows Vista Pro machine with 2 GB memory and 300 GB hard drive.  The machine also has Outlook with Business Contact Manager.  I was an ACC up to the point that version 7 came out.  The installation of version 11 seemed to go well and took about 5 minutes with no error messages.  The first problem that I encountered was that I could not convert a version 6 DB that from my second machine.  I was forced to copy the version 6 folder to the machine holding version 11 before it would convert the DB.  Now I am trying to convert a couple reports from version 6 with no luck.  ACT says that the conversion was done with no errors, but when I try to run the report, I get a message that some of the fields may have been deleted or are not accessible.  I ran ACTDiag and the DB Structure says that the fields I am trying to access are all Full Access to All Users.  I then tried editing the report to see what it looked like and found that the Header fields had been converted into the Contact Summary and the fields that are supposed to be in the Contact Detail are empty blanks even though the blanks appear to be in the correct positions. 

Am I doing something wrong?  Did I get a bad install of version 11?  Thanks for any help.

Dan Wilson

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report conversion from version 6

Most ACT! 6 reports will convert to the ACT! 2005 and later reports in fact the standard reports are mostly converted ACT! 6 reports. However, the ACT! 2005 and later reports are radically different (and much more powerful) from the ACT! 6 reports and that some changes are required to be made in the conversion. I'm making a guess but I suspect that you had added a large number of fields to your ACT! 6 database and that the reports that don't convert reported on those additional fields. When a large number of contact fields are added to the ACT! 2005 and later database, MSSQL creates what are called spillover tables. The fields in the spillover tables are addressed using a table identifier and the field name. I don't think that the report converter can convert a report template that has fields located in a spillover table. Most likely you will need to rebuild the report templates from scratch. You will actually be ahead because it's very difficult to modify a converted report template.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Good day Roy.  I remember your name from my ACC days and the ACC Forum.  Thank you for the response.  Your answer explains the problem.  The DB in question does have a few additional fields although the report in question does not use any of them.  The bad news is this particular DB is small in relation to the real DB that I want to eventually move into version 11.  The big DB has over 400 additional user fields that I created to monitor the statistics of a fire department.  Needless to say, there are also close to 100 reports that were created for that DB, all using the additional fields.  So... now I have to decide whether it's worth creating all of those reports from scratch in version 11 or using one of the many applications on the market designed for fire departments.  The problem is that none of the other applications on the market come close to the capability of ACT!.  While I'm thinking of it, are there any other glitches that might occur when I convert the big DB from version 6 to version 11?  I read about one concerning date fields becoming read-only after conversion.  Am I as the administrator allowed to change the read-only status of a field to full access?

Thanks again for the straight-forward help.  That was always appreciated when I was an ACC.

Dan...

Platinum Elite Contributor

You do have a thorny problem. Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129