Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report Writing Help - All Contacts for Certain Companies

Report Writing Help - All Contacts for Certain Companies

Good afternoon community,

My company is using ACT Pro 2013.

We have a custom field for our Companies to tag them as "green".

Essentially, we need to create a report that gives us all the contacts for all (and ONLY) the companies tagged as green. I can get all the contacts for ALL the companies, but when I try to run the report for just the "current lookup" (while the current lookup is on the green companies), ACT ignores it and just gives me all of the companies.

I feel like I would know how to do this in, say, Crystal Reports, but could someone offer their advice for ACT?

Is there a way to hard-code in a selection? 

We're trying to write it so the emails "line up" vertically to be copied and pasted into an Excel column, but that is secondary.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report Writing Help - All Contacts for Certain Companies

There's a lot of specific information missing. I'm guessing that you added the tag field in the contact table rather than the company table and that you're doing the lookup in the contact table but then trying to run a compay report. If this is the case then the reason the report doesn't run for the lookup is because it's a contact lookup. You would need to do the lookup on the company table to be able to run a company report for the current lookup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy,

Thank you for replying.

The "Green" tagging field is actually within the Companies table, not the contacts. Is there some way to "lock in" the lookup, since ACT doesn't seem to register that I have only certain companies in the lookup, and the report lists contact information for members of ALL companies. Is this because it is considered a contact report? Does the sub-report nature of the contact details matter?

What report are you trying to run?

Is it a company report?

If the lookup is in the company table have you tried running one of the standard company reports for that lookup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello again,

We have tried running a number of company reports, including ones we have modified, to no avail. ACT does not seem to recognize our "current lookup" of the Green companies. 

Should we be running a Contact report? I was under the impression there was very little difference between Contact and Company reports, beyond simply what data was being requested.

Major difference. Contact based reports use the contact table as the main table, other tables would be included as subreports. Company reports use the company table as the base table and other tables are included as subreports. the group and opportunity reports are similarily organized.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclusure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.  The report chapters work for all version of the ACT! program since ACT! 2007.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi again,

Let me try to simplify my problem instead of complicating it with my own inexperience.

I need all the contacts for only certain companies in a format that I can easily copy from Excel. "Current lookup" returns all contacts for all companies, not what I want.

Do you have any thoughts on how I can do this?  

Without examining you database I can't say if there's an easy way to accomplish what you want. Your basic desciption where you are talking about several companies indicates there isn't any easy way to accomplish what you want.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

It seems I'm failing to understand how there is no easy way to do this, given that ACT is basically a pre-packaged database. Everyone using ACT has tables for contacts and companies; a few custom fields shouldn't affect this troubleshoot. 

There really isn't an easy way to filter a report like this? 

If there is really no easy way, then what is 'the hard way'?