Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report Designer Question

Nickel Contributor

Report Designer Question

I want to edit the contact report. 

When I go to current contact and choose current week,  I would like to see the day of the week next to the date.  Why no "Monday", "Tuesday' etc.? There's no option for this?  I don't see it in report designer.

Am I missing something?

Also, why can't I assign a hotkey to, say, current contact AND current week so I could just hit the "hotkey" to open it instead of going through that long drivel to get it to open?  Why so many steps and tabs?  If anything it should be one form and not all those subtabs if it's going to be so many steps. What a pain!

It's fine as it is, but I want it shorter.  I know Roy will tell me it's too bad, but is it?  Why can't I use a hotkey to pull "this week's contact report for the lookup under a hotkey, this week's contact report for "current contact' under another hotkey, and this week's contact report for "all contact's under another hotkey? 

The above example can be compared to the tabs and that UGLY layout button at the bottom of the layouts. The old ACT! versions had hotkey's assigned to new customer created tabs.  Why can't I have hotkeys to the tabs and layouts?  Every darn thing else is a hotkey or can be assigned one.  Why not those?

Why not merged templates having hotkeys instead of those 80 steps in that mail Merge Wizard? have a hotkey for each step.  I dread that Mail Merge Wizard.

And so forth and so on.

All I want is ease of use.  Bring greater functionality.  Maybe just maybe the next one.  Can I dream? Since Sage only adds, it seems, two new features everytime a new release comes out, it make take 30 years to bring this request on.  Don't tell me they are running out of ideas to improve this bucket of bolts.

-P 
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Report Designer Question

patgenn123 wrote:

When I go to current contact and choose current week,  I would like to see the day of the week next to the date.  Why no "Monday", "Tuesday' etc.? There's no option for this?  I don't see it in report designer.

Open the template for editing and right click on the date field you want to change and then click on the Format tab in the dialog and choose the date format that you want to use. If you go to showing the day of the week you may need to increase the size of the date field.

patgenn123 wrote:

Also, why can't I assign a hotkey to, say, current contact AND current week so I could just hit the "hotkey" to open it instead of going through that long drivel to get it to open?  Why so many steps and tabs?  If anything it should be one form and not all those subtabs if it's going to be so many steps. What a pain!

Why can't I use a hotkey to pull "this week's contact report for the lookup under a hotkey, this week's contact report for "current contact' under another hotkey, and this week's contact report for "all contact's under another hotkey? 

You can preset many of the filters for a report by opening the report for editing then going to Edit | Filters. With the exception of selected users and specific activity types, filters settings that you make here will be saved as the defaults when you resaved the template. On the main screen you can go to Tools | Customize | Menus and Toolbars and create a custom command for the template and then assign a hot key combination to execute the custom command. To have different version of the default setting for the report template, you would need to make additional copies of the report using the Save As option, set up the different default filter settings and then create separate custom commands for each with different hot key combinations.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]
Got it.  Thanks Roy!

Got a couple of questions for you.

After all that's done and I drag it to a toolbar,  why on earth is it asking me to define the filter again with the define filter dialog box after clicking on the icon?

Also,  does it have to be put on the toolbar for it to work?  This is what I mean:

Before I dragged it to the toolbar,  I tried to fire the report just typing the hotkey.  It wouldn't fire.  After I dragged it to the toolbar on top,  not only did it work typing in the hotkey,  but it worked by clicking the icon on the toolbar.

Why does it have to be on the screen(toolbar) for it to fire?  If I wanted it to fire without it being on the toolbar, why not? 
A hotkey is a hot key.  It should fire without it being visible as an icon somewhere.  That's the definition of a hotkey.

That really burns me to see that filter dialog box even after I resaved it as another report and did what you told me to do.  What is with ACT!?
They've got to be the king and masters of the extra step.

ACT! should call themselves "extra step" not ACT!.  No, better yet.  Since ACT! is shorter for the word ACTION,  they really should call themselves ACTION because it takes a little longer because of the extra useless step(s).

Gosh,

Scratching my shrinking hairline...

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 04-08-2008 01:09 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Not all filter setting can be preconfigured and you also might want to do a one time change to one of the preconfigured settings. As to needing to have it on the toolbar to assign a hot key combination, I can see why it is the way it is but I can see the value of not needing to do that. Why don't you make a feature request for that?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com