Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report Customization

Report Customization

I'm trying to customize the contact directory report, but can never get it to work. All I'm trying to do is add and remove 2 fields and display as many contacts on 1 sheet as possible. I.E. I want to print a look up of about 10 contacts and show 3-4 contacts per page. I've modified the report and all I get is the same contact duplicated over and over again or nothing at all. PLEASE HELP, I'm beyond aggravated.... Is there a case or resource tool to help guide me?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report Customization

It's impossible to diagnose the problem with your report template without actually examining the template. Most people don't realize it but when you modify a report template, you're are actually modifying a program. There are some KB documents regarding the ACT! reports but the information is fairly limited. There isn't a definitive reference document. I've thought about writing one but I haven't done so yet.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

I have the similar issue.
I am currently using Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0 Hot Fix 6.
I am trying to modify my Contact Directory Report. I have saved the original report and renamed the new report, so nothing has changed in the original Contact Directory.
Previously, I have added a few alternative phone number fields in my contact and now I would like to print the Contact Directory with the additional information. I read about using the Sub-Report. I tried nothing happen. I also think grouping the additional phone number information under the Home Address area is more appropriate. In fact I would like to insert these fields immediately under the existing Home Phone field between the other existing fields. How can I do this? Thank you for the help in advance.

This is a very old thread.  Most people don't realize it but when you modify a report template, you're are actually modifying a program. There are some KB documents regarding the ACT! reports but the information is fairly limited. Since the original thread was posted I have co-authored a book on ACT! reports and Dashboards. You can find more information about the book here.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Sage+ACT%21+2011+Dashbo...

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

I went ahead and bought the Kindle version the book.  I will read about the book and see if I will find answer to my problem.  I also discovered that the Word Processor only have ACT! Word not the Microsoft Word Processor.  I believe I used to have it before I upgraded from Office 2011 to Office Office 2013.  Is it the same root problem I had regarding Office 2013 is not fully compatible with ACT! Pro 2011?

That's correct, ACT! 2011 doesn't support Word 2013.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Administrator

Here's a compatibility chart that lists full compatibility details for Act and MS Office.
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767
Tuned Listener

Thank you for your help.  I studied the compatible charts and concluded that 

1. ACT! Pro 2011 is a dead end in regard to Windows 7 and Office 2013 (in particular the integration).

2. Unless I seriously consider upgrade to another version or simply migrate to other programs, there will be no help.

I came across this exercise a few years back when I changed fro the Palm platform to android.  The entire transition was a nightmare for many a months.  A then, I also came across upgrading from a several versions of the ACT!, it was also quite an experience (bad).  Apparently, most software developers are focusing on upgrading their software to be compatible to competitors' programs to be marketable.  However, they think less about their longtime users.  ACT! was introduced to me (I believe some 20 odd years ago when I was learning to be a small (micro) business operator).  Most users like me remained as micro business.  It is simply not justify (or need) a lot of the features currently offered in ACT!, Windows, or Office.  We need something simple and effective.  These companies (developers) kept on adding, modifying the programs to almost match the systems operate in multi-national or nationwide corporations with a huge and mobile sales force.  They completely forget where their own companies started with.  Ultimately (I was also a trained supply-chain professional.  I used ABC analysis to focus my product-productivity.) the rest of the micro business operators are considered the C items (we are many but almost worthless).  If they drop us or we drop the software really do not matter to them.  In other words, as many of corporations advertised "We CARE". As a matter of fact, they don't.  My past experience in this respect is to device 3 different modules and criteria to address the issue.  I will focus on the A items to make sure no stockout to avoid loss of sales.  I also kept my eye on B and C items only with the difference of care level.  I established criteria to bridge the gaps - that is when the B and C items showing significant growth or performance, I upgrade them to A or B items respectively. By the same token, when market changes, I also downgraded them accordingly.

Honestly, I don't any of these practices in any of the markets or fields.  Everybody think that they are invincible.  Sky is the limit.  That is also why a lot of the business operators (big one) were surprised when market turned and they were not prepared for it. 

Tuned Listener

After studying your charts relating to the upgrading and honestly I do need Office integration, Outlook and e-mail to massive contacts (about 2,000 membership), I am seriously consider upgrading to 2013 during the holiday season to allow more time to work with problems that might arise (this is my experience), but I also worry about my other workload - tax season preparation for my clients.

In any case, thank you for your help.

Tuned Listener

I am also using DejaOffice on my Android Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Tab 4 to sync my ACT! Pro 2011.  After upgrading to ACT! 2013 v15, do I still need the DejaOffice?