Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Renaming Shared Database

Copper Contributor

Renaming Shared Database

We converted from ACT! 6.0 to version 2012 and it's working fine, but we want to change the name of our main shared database to something that is more recognizable to all our employees so they can easily tell they are on the master database.

We realize we should have done this when we converted.

What is the best way to rename a shared database in ACT! Pro 2012? Is it is simple as just renaming the file and then making sure all users open that file? Thank you. 

Silver Contributor

Re: Renaming Shared Database

DO NOT JUST RENAME FILE> YOU WILL BREAK IT!

Ok with that off my chest, the best practice would be to Save a copy, File, Sage Copy as.  Then share that one.

FOr each of your users, just have them beging to use the pad file for the new database.

very important. make sure you take the old database off line so users don't accidently use it.  You can do this by going to start, run, actdiag and under the database tab, detatch the old database.  Don't delete it just yet, make sure everyone can get in.

You will need to reconfigure outlook integration, backups, saved password, and more when you do this, so make time to test so you don't confuse your users.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Ok, thanks for the advice on just renaming it. We definately won't do that, but use the "save a copy" route.

Just one more question - we have 1 remote user so I had created his remote (.rdb file) and he syncs back to the publisher database that we want to rename. I assume I'll have to make a new remote database to sync properly?

Silver Contributor

Yes, creating a new copy with save copy as, will require you to recreate all sync databases.  Make sure they sync first, remove thier remotes so they don't accidently use them.

then save the copy and create and deploy the new remote.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider