Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Rename ACT! fields / tabs to match business processes

Rename ACT! fields / tabs to match business processes

Good morning or evening as the case may be.

I'm working with a nonprofit social services agency to implement ACT! in a job placement environment. Since they don't "sell" anything the default nomenclature doesn't track the business processes. I want to change "Contacts" to "Clients", "Company" to "Service Segment", "Opportunity" to "Placement Cycle". Other components may also be renamed, but the above examples should suffice.

Renaming fields is easy. Just go into Tools and make it so. Getting ACT! to use the new names isn't easy.

Renaming Tabs:

One example; I want to rename the "Contacts" tabs on all layouts. The field is renamed to "Client", but nothing I've tried will cause ACT! to display the new name. I'm willing to edit the xml layout files with a text editor. Actually, I tried that and it didn't work.

So, is there any means by which I can force ACT! to relabel the user interface to match the terminology used in a job services agency?

THANKS!!

jeff

Employee

Re: Rename ACT! fields / tabs to match business processes

[ Edited ]

While this cannot be done within the application, it is possible to accomplish this via the SDK. Recently in the Developer's section of the community there was a similar discussion regarding changing companies, I'll link the thread, but it's laden with code so if your unfamiliar with .Net it might not be very helpful. I also believe you can do this with the Durkin Toolkit.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Re: Rename ACT! fields / tabs to match business processes

[ Edited ]

Thanks much, I'll check the thread you referenced. I have access to .Net experts in a local software development firm.

The Durkin Toolkit (we have 12 runtime copies and 2 designers) can change some names, but mostly those in the navigation area. Tab names have been remarkably resistant to this point.