Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Removing older versions of Act from Computer

Removing older versions of Act from Computer

I have finally gotten Act 11 to function.  (well customer support had a lot to do with it).  My challenge now is to clean up older Act databases and programs.  I have figured out how to delete the databses but not the programs.  I still show instances of Act 6, Act 7, Act 8, Act 9 and Act 10 exe files in the Act Folder under Program Files.  I also thought I saw a version of SQL server as "Light" or "Express" associated with Act7.  It is now not there.  Sigh.  I am running XP and the uninstaller does not show any versions of Act as installed other than 11.

Are the exe files there for a reason?  Should they be removed?  How do I do so?

I searched for uninstaller help in the forums and did not get a high level of confidence that I was chasing the right process.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rusty 

Re: Removing older versions of Act from Computer

The exe files are being used.  Do not delete them or any files within C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows unless its from an addon product that you've uninstalled.

Ok I understand that the files within that folder are hands off.

I am reacting to some of this as a result of sharing violations from a backup program.  (Retrospect 7.6)  Why do I see \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$ACT7\Data\master.mdf etc. sharing violations?  Are these associated with version 11 activities?  I have removed older database files associated with prior versions that created similiar violations.  The sharing violations are not there after I removed the files.

So are these activities associated with version 11?

thanks,

Rusty

Because the files are being used by SQL.  If you want to use a 3rd party program to backup ACT!, you will need to stop SQL Server (ACT7) service.  As long as the service is started, ACT! databases and those files will be in use.

Is there a way to not start all this up when the system boots?  I see that "actsage - preload" and "act outlook service" load as startup programs.  Can these be omitted from the startup.

I guess what I am asking is will all these things start when I open act for the first time?  If so then I can do a re boot before I backup and not have these running.

Thanks.

rusty

If you stop SQL Server (ACT7) service from starting, you will not be able to use ACT!.  Removing actsage -preload is going to affect the performance when lauching ACT!.  Removing act.outlook.service.exe is will affect the ability to record history from Outlook.

Only thing that you need to stop before you backup is stop SQL Server (ACT7) service, start the backup process and when its completed, start SQL Server (ACT7) service.

[ Edited ]

I am responding to the old thread because this issue has reared its ugly head ....Again.

Question:  How do I clean up these older version Act remnants?

Question:  Is there some tool that will do this for me?

The problem:

Before I upgraded to Act 2009 I used Corex Cardscan to scan cards into their database and then sync with my Act database.  It worked great.

When I upgraded to Act 2009 I lost the ability to sync the two databases.  In order to restore that ability I need to upgrade to a newer version of Cardscan.  

I upgraded to Cardscan 8.  No luck with the sync.

The Cardscan sync setup process will not recognize Act 2009 because there seem to be remnants of older Act versions lurking on my computer.

Question:  How do I clean up these older version Act remnants?

Question:  Is there some tool that will do this for me?

There is no answer too simple for my frustration level with this issue.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

rusty

Message Edited by rustyh on 05-09-2009 03:16 PM

The ACT! uninstaller will remove majority of the files.  You can then followup with the manual uninstall.

How to Manually Remove ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) and ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0)

How to Use the ACT! Uninstaller.exe file

Years ago I installed ACT! 2004 on my computer.  Didn't learn it well, didn't use it, uninstalled it. However, when open Outlook I get the message

"The Add-in ACT!Extensions (C/windows/systemew/act!Ext.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook.  Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update. If no update available please uninstall the add-in."

I uninstalled the add-in a year or more ago.  How can I make this go away?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Try removing the address book using the following instructions. 

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1285...

Then ensure that the addin has been completely removed.

•  
    1. Close ACT!.
    2. Open Outlook.
    3. Click the Tools menu, then click Options. The Options dialog box appears.
    4. Under the Other tab, click Advanced Options. The Advanced Options dialog box appears.
    5. Click Add-In Manager. The Add-In Manager dialog box appears.
    6. Clear the ACT! Extensions option in the list of add-ins. Click OK to close the Add-In Manager dialog box.
    7. Click OK to close the Advanced Options dialog box.
    8. Click Apply and then OK to close the Options dialog box.
    9. Close Outlook.

Note: Steps 10 through 15 are optional. They will ensure that the add-in is completely disabled. If you do not wish to rename the ACTEXT.DLL file, skip to step 16.
    10. Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking the Windows Start button, and then clicking Explore on the shortcut menu.
    11. Browse to the location of the ACTEXT.DLL file. It is located in the Windows System folder; this folder varies with different versions of Windows, possibilities include: C:\Windows\SystemC:\WinNT\System32, andC:\Windows\System32. Click the folder in which it resides in the left pane.
    12. Click the View menu, then click Details.
    13. Locate the ACTEXT.DLL file in the right pane, right-click it, then click Rename on the shortcut menu.
    14. Change the extension from DLL to OLD.
    15. Close Windows Explorer.
    16. Restart Windows to ensure Outlook acknowledges the changes.
  • Disable the ACT! Extensions Add-In in Outlook
    The next work-around is to disable the ACT! Extensions add-in in Outlook. You will still be able to access your ACT! contacts from within Outlook, however you will no longer have the ACT! icon on the Outlook toolbar. This removes the ability to attach E-mails to contacts from within Outlook. You can still perform that function from within ACT!'s view of the Outlook Inbox.

To disable the ACT! Extensions add-in in Outlook, follow these steps: