Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remove duplicate companies

Copper Contributor

Remove duplicate companies

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. I have just completed a mass update of companies from various data sources to populate some missing information. Of course, now I've noticed a problem. I have duplicate companies!

However the problem is, although WE know they're the same company, ACT does not recognise it as a duplicate because of very minor spelling changes or full stops or spaces in different places. So, for example, I have in the records:

X Y Z Company Limited

XYZ Company Limited

XYZ Company Ltd

Of course, I know these are all the same company, but ACT sees them as three.

I know it might be impossible, but is there any way of saying, for example, identify all those companies which have the same first few letters then create a lookup, merge, and delete the duplicates?

Thanks!

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Remove duplicate companies

You can do a Company Name lookup and use the Contains operator to look up a part of the name. This should give you a list that, when sorted by name, should make it easier to identify duplicates. With Companies, you can only delete one at a time.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.