Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote sync option is out. What other way can I get a remote db back into the parent?

Copper Super Contributor

Remote sync option is out. What other way can I get a remote db back into the parent?

I want to have a child db published and unpacked at a remote location that does not have internet access, nor will we ever be using the VPN or other internet sync option.  I will send them a CD of their child db.  But a few months down the road, I will want them to send me (something) back to integrate their changes into the server db.  Then I will publish another child db for them and send it to them as a CD. They will delete their old child db and unpack the new one and use it.

What files do I want from them, and how do I get it into the server db again?  I was told that if they sent me a backup of the child db and I restored it here on a non-server computer, I would loose the sync. This is ok if I can then import the broken sync child db that would now be on our LAN. I though I could use one of my local child machines here and restore their child db on it. Then close it and open the local connected child db that I normally use here and the IMPORT the just closed db I restored.  By importing from an ACT 2007 db, I should be able to import any changes to all the contacts, groups, companies, and related files.

The question is will this work?

1) Can you backup a child db?

2) Can that backup be restored on a different computer here than the one is was originally unpacked on there?

3) Once restored and closed, can I Import its data into my local child db without messing up its data?

4) Can I then sync my local child db with the server to bring it up to date?  Did step 3 above just un-sync my local child db?

5) Can I then publish another child db from the server and send it to them?

6) Can they delete their old child db and then unpack the new one I send them?

I think all the steps will work.  Do you see any step that will not work?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Remote sync option is out. What other way can I get a remote db back into the parent?

The ability to send sync without direct access is probably the only major function lost from 6.0... I guess the number of business users without internet isn't very many.

Why not get them ADSL account? Surely the time saved would be worth it?

1. Yes

2. Use Restore As

3. Use this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4268k9 but BACKUP FIRST

4. Maybe, instad of sending a sepeare child database from the server, a copy of yours would would... making sure the sync set for you includes both users

5. Yes

I don't know anyone that has tried this - so keep good backups.

I'd recommend upgrading to ACT! 2009 as there are a number of improvements in sync.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Remote sync option is out. What other way can I get a remote db back into the parent?

Everyone has internet access. The problem is everyone cannot afford all the costs to:

Pay a technician or a company to set up the VPN or maintain it.

Pay someone to daily monitor the traffic logs passing through our firewall to make sure hacker have not entered.

Paying someone to daily read the latest hacker trends and security updates in the news to adjust the system to block new attacks.

We have a very strong firewall in place that has never been compromised. I am not about to modify it and start paying a lot of money to have someone monitor any introduced weaknesses.  We tried another firewall at one point a couple years back and were informed that our local computers were being used to attack the DOD.  We put our old firewall back in place immediately.  With all the possibly millions of hackers around the world testing us (we get looked at hundreds of times a minute), it is not safe to open up a portal just for ACT without it being done by a high paid professional that will stick around to monitor things.  It just keeps getting more dangerous each day according to the latest security news outlets.  Even the bank professionals are screwing up everyday. I could not insure a safe tunnel to protect our business. The door to our firewall will remain closed.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Something like Hamachi VPN is pretty easy to set up, and you can set the firewall to only allow connections from the user's IP on the specific port.