Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote access

Remote access

My company has two user licenses. My user license is remotely connected on my desktop computer to the main computer. I need to be able to access our ACT database from my laptop as well.  Can you give me step by step instructions as to how I can do that?

Thanks.

Optimizer
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Remote access

Hi Mike:

Thanks so much for your response.  Unfortunately the link goes to a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."  What is the best thing I can do under the circumstances?

Optimizer

Link works fine from here... maybe try it again or this - http://tinyurl.com/2cvwcz

It's a bit long to just post here

Hi Mike:

The link did finally display.  I am confused about the following:  On my desktop computer, I have already created a remote database which I've been using for about a year. As I am already a remote user, can I copy that rdb file and place it on my laptop, or do I need to create another remote rdb file?

Thanks for your help.

Optimizer

The machine name is part of the database. So, no, you can't use the same file.

Mike, I have two more questions:

1.  Do I have to change the sync set or can I use the same sync set before creating the new database on the main computer?

2.  My desktop computer, remotely connected as the administrator to the main computer has a specific serial number.  I have installed ACT on the laptop with the user number from the original computer.  Can I change the serial number on the laptop to match my number easily, or do I need to reinstall ACT on the laptop?

Thanks.

Optimizer

1. Shouldn't need to re-create the sync set, just the RDB

2. The serial numbers get added to the database to define the maximum number of users. So it shouldn't matter