Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote Site database???

Remote Site database???

I would like to create a remote database and do an unpack/restore to a network location.  Then have all users from the remote site access that database and have just that database sync with my master.  Can this be done?
Silver Contributor

Re: Remote Site database???

Yes this is possible if properly set up.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Can you provide help on what the "correct" way to do this would be?  I'm going to use a machine to host the site ACT/SQL software and DB.  I will make the machine available through the network and always leave it on.  I will install ACT on all machines in the office.  I want them to hit the DB on the host machine.  That host machine will then be synched up with our main site server/database.

I'm trying to test this but everytime I try to open the DB from another machine on the network I get an error message that says "The database could not be accessed, check your network connection to verify that your DB server is connected.

I created the remote database on the host server.  Moved the .RDB file to the new laptop after setting up ACT/SQL.  Did an unpack and restore.  Made sure that it is set to share.  The .pad opens fine on the host machine (laptop).  Just can't seem to access it from the network even though I can see it.

Platinum Super Contributor

That message can come from several different areas, here is a link to steps for resolving this issue: "The database could not be accessed...

Two of the most common causes are the Firewall exceptions that need to be added and the Network not correctly translating the host computer name, look at those 2 sections first.

Greg Martin
Sage