Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote Database Userid Password

Copper Contributor

Remote Database Userid Password

I have V16 installed.  I am confused about the remote database userid and password.  Here is what I experience.  I create the main database with userid John Doe.  Then I create a sync set (no password) for user1 and user2 and also remote databases for user1 and user2.    After the installation of the RDB by user1 and user2, Act asks them for a userid and password.  Act prepopulates the userid field with user1 or user2 userid.   But, it will only open with credentials from  John Doe. 

Now when I create the Sync set, I have the opportunity to create a password, according to documentation, this is for security if I put the files on a FTP site.  This is the only place I can see to put any kind of password that may pertain to a remote database.  I can not find anywhere where I would setup security for user1 and user2. 

My question is - is there suppose to be a way to create a remote RDB with credentials for user1 and user2?  Or does the remote RDB carry the credentials of John Doe the creator? 

Re: Remote Database Userid Password

pfeathers,

When you create a remote database all user information is taken from the Tools>Manager Users window.  No matter who you create the sync set for, that's where the authentication comes from.  Have you done this, or are you simply naming the sync set after these users?  Have they logged in to the main database before?

pfeathers wrote:

I have V16 installed.  I am confused about the remote database userid and password.  Here is what I experience.  I create the main database with userid John Doe.  Then I create a sync set (no password) for user1 and user2 and also remote databases for user1 and user2.    After the installation of the RDB by user1 and user2, Act asks them for a userid and password.  Act prepopulates the userid field with user1 or user2 userid.   But, it will only open with credentials from  John Doe. 

Now when I create the Sync set, I have the opportunity to create a password, according to documentation, this is for security if I put the files on a FTP site.  This is the only place I can see to put any kind of password that may pertain to a remote database.  I can not find anywhere where I would setup security for user1 and user2. 

My question is - is there suppose to be a way to create a remote RDB with credentials for user1 and user2?  Or does the remote RDB carry the credentials of John Doe the creator? 

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

Re: Remote Database Userid Password

Thanks Billy, the manage users did the trick.  I was able to create a remote database for a user and they were able to use their credentials to open the remote.