Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote Database Use

Remote Database Use

OK, I'm pretty confused about using Remote Databases. Here's what I have and what I'd like to be able to do...

I have a PC on my desk at work (Gateway running XP) with ACT! 2007 that is synced with Outlook. This is where I'd like to have the main database for ACT! and is where I do the majority of my work and emails.

However, I also have a laptop (Gateway running XP) that also has ACT! 2007 on it. I carry the laptop on my numerous road trips and need to be able to update/change the data in the ACT! Database there, and then update the desk PC when I get back.

I created a remote database and shipped it over the Laptop on a flash drive. Pulled it up and used it no sweat. But I cannot figure out how to get that updated material from the laptop back into the main database on the PC

Any thoughts or solutions? Man Indifferent I'm sure there's a fairly simple way to do it, but I'm just missing it.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Remote Database Use

You need to network the two computers together.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Is networking the two machines the only option?

The issue we face is that we are a Credit Union and keep the laptops off the network as they do not have the same security measures that our desk machines do. While we can transfer files after a virus sweep, linking the two may not be allowed on that basis. However, since I can create a remote desktop to use (as outlined in the manual) and transferred via a flash drive or CD (also as suggested by the manual), it seems that any data modified or aded to the remote database should have some method by which it can later update the master database in a similar fashion.

So are you saying there is no other option?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not for synchronization. The have to be networked either physically or via the internet. The only option would be to copy the database back to the server and connect it via restore as and do an import into the parent database
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

OK, I'll give that a shot and get back to you. Man Wink
Bronze Elite Contributor

This is a typical case of IT security paranoia. You could synchronise over the Internet safely using Network synchronisation and choose not to sync attachments. The data stream is encrypted and you are not in the true sense of the word networked from the physical to an application layer. You are just runnning  a sync session.  Why is it considered safe to work with backups restored between machines or doing data exchange (import/export)but not synchronise as I suggest? I would pick the sync method over transferring files by plugging in and removing removable media such as USB drives

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Why is it considered safe to work with backups restored between machines or doing data exchange (import/export)but not synchronise as I suggest? I would pick the sync method over transferring files by plugging in and removing removable media such as USB drives.

I think the issue is access. If I'm on the Internet and looging into the network, there is the slight possibility that someone could compromise that connection and gain access to our main network, thus compromising our security and the funds of our members. In transferring a file via flashdrive or CD, I created the file, know what's in it and have a higher degree of certainty that nothing is on it that will compromise our security down the road.

It does seem a little extreme to me. However, having worked in the financial industry for a little over 18 months now, I can understand the need for some 'extreme' measures for security. I mean, in light of recent financial woes in the U.S., would you want to have your money in place you weren't sure was 100% safe? It's really a perceptuial issue that we, as a financial institution, have to go above and beyond to maintain, even if in reality it makes very little difference.

But I will investigate your 'Internet Sync' option, as I rarely if ever use attachments with my contacts. Thanks for the input. Smiley Happy

Bronze Elite Contributor

I understand that security is an issue but you are not logging onto the network. You are making a connection to a particular nominated port on a machine at the office. That is not the same as authenticating as a network user. So while the name is 'Network synchronisation' the same outcome can be achieved. Just think of it as synchronising not network synchronisation.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog