Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote Database Lost Ability To Sync

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Remote Database Lost Ability To Sync

I am running ACT 2008 Premium and one of my remote databases has lost the ability to sync.  Synchronize Now is grayed out and Accept Incoming Syncs is selectable.  The user of this database does not remember making any changes, however he is not very computer savvy.  If there is a way to make a remote database lose it's sync ability I don't doubt that he stumbled on it accidentally.  Anyway, is there any possibility for me to restore it's ability to sync?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bradleyjere
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Remote Database Lost Ability To Sync

To answer your main question, No, you will need to create a new RDB. If you need to retrieve data from his database, you will need to move it to the server for the publisher database and do an import into the publisher database.

There are several ways to kill synchronization, one way is to go to Tools | Synchronization Panel and click on Disable Synchronization. Trying to move the database is another way. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author bradleyjere
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

To answer your main question, No, you will need to create a new RDB. If you need to retrieve data from his database, you will need to move it to the server for the publisher database and do an import into the publisher database.

There are several ways to kill synchronization, one way is to go to Tools | Synchronization Panel and click on Disable Synchronization. Trying to move the database is another way. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I pretty much figured there was nothing I could do to restore his sync, but it doesn't hurt to ask!  I looked at the sycnornization panel and I don't doubt for a second that he clicked on disable.

Thank you for your quick reply and suggestion to import his data into the publisher databse!  I had no idea you could do that.

I've found that you need to be cautious with the import. I would suggest that you create an empty copy of the remote database and then export the remote users contact record to the new database and create his user account in the remote database. Then do a lookup on contact activity in the original database to find the actual records modified after a specific date and export those records to the new database. Use the new database for the import into the parent database. That does two things, it reduces the import time and keeps from creating very long syncs for the other users to catch up. As always, do plenty of safety backups along the way.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

That sounds like a very good idea and very sound advice.  One quick question, how do you create an empty copy of the remote database?

After you move it to the server using File | Backup and File | Restore As, do File | Save Copy As.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I have made an empty copy, how do I lookup the records changed after a certain date and export those to the new blank database?
Copper Contributor

Doh!  I see how to do the lookup now.  But how do you export that data into the new empty database?

By the way, thank you for all your help!  I really appreciate it!

Copper Contributor

And scratch that last post too!  I see how to do the export and import.

Thanks again for all your help!