Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote Database Expiration

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Remote Database Expiration

Hi All,

Would someone explain to me exactly how Remote Database Expiration is supposed to work?  We're using Act 2008 (10.0.1.199) with 23 remote databases that synchronize on a routine basis.  I had one use whose synchronization period expired back in November (it was set for 21 days), and he's just now getting around to using Act again.  I was rather suprised to find out that not only could he open the database with no limitations, but he was able to synchronize normally.  And idea what might be wrong with the setup to cause this?  Thanks!

Brian

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bk845
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Remote Database Expiration

It never was a security measure because all synchronizations are initiated by the remote. The expiration was to keep the number of changes being synced to a manageable volume. With later versions synchronization speed was improved and an absolute expiration was no longer required.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

Actually, nothing. The remote expiration originally was very rigid but it was changed with ACT! 2006. Now, they never technically expire but they will continue to give you the warning. You would likely be best to have the remote do a sync and then create a new RDB and replace the one he is using.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Wow, are you serious?  I thought having a remote database expire would be a beneficial security feature...is there any way to get this to work the way it was intended?  Is there some official documentation about this change?

Brian

Solution
Accepted by topic author bk845
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

It never was a security measure because all synchronizations are initiated by the remote. The expiration was to keep the number of changes being synced to a manageable volume. With later versions synchronization speed was improved and an absolute expiration was no longer required.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I spoke to our Act rep who confirmed your original statement that it was essentially removed after the 2005 version.  The help file in 2008 still talks about it as if it were really going to disable synchronization for remotes, but it just doesn't do it any more...It's more of a scare tactic to keep remote users synchronizing on a routine basis.  I understand now that keeping remotes synchronized routinely is important to keep the amount of data needing to be synced at any given time to a minimum, and that it's not in any way, shape, or form considered a security feature.

I was confused by the use of the term "Remote Database Expiration"...It seemed perfectly reasonable to me to have a remote database "expire" if it weren't synchronized after a certain time period (like if someone ran off with a laptop with a remote database on it).  It's apparently a requested feature, so maybe we'll see it some day.  Thanks for your help!

Brian