Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote Database Expiration Period

Copper Contributor

Remote Database Expiration Period

Hi

I have ACT! 2008 (Ver 10.0.2.191) on Win XP Pro SP-2. According to ACT!'s Help, if the expiration period is set to 90 days or more, performance on the main and remote databases may experience degradation. The only explanation given for this action hindering performance is that the log files would become larger.

I don't quite understand how this would cause the database to slow down. The log appears to be a simple text file, and normally, it would take one humongous text file to slow down a reasonably decent computer that was constructed in this century. Can anyone shed some light on this topic?

Thanks for the help. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Remote Database Expiration Period

The actual sync log is inside the database... it would store every change made by every user. That's every change, not just the last change... so it can work out which change is the latest when doing the sync
Copper Contributor

Hi Mike

You wrote:

>it would store every change made by every user<

Okay, if the log stores every change made by every user, what difference does the frequency of syncing make? If I sync everyday with an average of 10 additions/changes per day, then over 10 days, I have 10 syncs and 100 additions/changes. If I sync just once, at the end of the 10 day period, then I have 1 sync with 100 additions/changes.

Is there a maximum number of syncs that are tracked? For example, does ACT! only keep track of, say, the last 5 syncs. If that is the case, then in the example above, ACT! only needs to record 5 syncs and 50 additions/changes. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Steve wrote:

Hi Mike

You wrote:

>it would store every change made by every user<

Okay, if the log stores every change made by every user, what difference does the frequency of syncing make? If I sync everyday with an average of 10 additions/changes per day, then over 10 days, I have 10 syncs and 100 additions/changes. If I sync just once, at the end of the 10 day period, then I have 1 sync with 100 additions/changes.

The frequency of sync doesn't matter... it keeps the log for a number of days. 

If you add an item and another remote user adds an item and you sync every day, but the other user after 10 days, it needs to know each change and when it was changed so that after both users sync, the order is correct.

This is also in case a sync fails midway... it can resend from the last successful sync.

If you change one field to something, then back again, it is two items in the log. If the log didn't expire, it would get huge in a muti-user environment.

Is there a maximum number of syncs that are tracked? For example, does ACT! only keep track of, say, the last 5 syncs. If that is the case, then in the example above, ACT! only needs to record 5 syncs and 50 additions/changes. 

It tracks all data changes up to the number of days specified as the expiration

Copper Contributor

Hi

Now, I understand how it operates.

Thanks