Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote ACT Can't Find Outlook

Bronze Contributor

Remote ACT Can't Find Outlook

I am now running ACT2011 on a remote computer and using Hamachi to run the sync program from the remote computer.  I also have Outlook 2010 on the remote computer, but ACT doesn't see it in the preferences tab.

I installed ACT first then Office 2010.

The host system is a 32bit OS and the remote is a 64bit OS.

The host system is Windows Enterprise and the remote is Windows Professional

Any ideas on how to get ACT to recognize Outolook?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Remote ACT Can't Find Outlook

You'll want to uninstall and then reinstall the ACT! program (leave SQL alone).  ACT! has to be installed after Office so that it can place it's add-ins into the Office registry keys.

Also, make sure that Office is installed in 32-bit mode.  ACT! will not work with Office 64-bit (or 'Click-to-Run').

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Contributor

I'm really stumped now.

Steps I've taken.

Removed ACT and reinstalled.  No default eMail client ... please rerun Outlook

Removed ACT and Outlook 2010 | Outlook & rebooted | Reinstalled ACT | ... No default eMail client ... please rerun Outlook

Checked on Outlook that the box indicating Outlook is default is checked.

I'm wondering if there is a stray file that needs to be removed so that ACT can find Outlook.

Any help would be appreciated.

John Purdy
Platinum Super Contributor

If I read this correctly, after reinstalling Outlook and ACT! > you can now select Outlook through the Preferences, but are getting an error when attempting to send an e-mail - is that correct?

What is the whole error?

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Contributor

My response above was that ACT still could not see Outlook as a mail client.

I was finally able to get ACT to see OUtlook late in the day yesterday. It appears that ACT has a problem with 64 bit Outlook. When I installed the 64-bit version, it worked.
John Purdy

Re: ACT 2011 Can't Find Outlook 2010

[ Edited ]

I spent hours trying to solve this, so to help anyone else in the same boat, I thought I'd share the solution I found that finally worked. Hallelujah!:

First, as noted below, you need the full version of Outlook 2010, not the typical downloaded version. And it needs to be 32 bit (not 64.)

https://partners.sagenorthamerica.com/irj/go/km/docs/sageKM/ACT!%20by%20Sage/Ungated%20Customers/act...

Important: The following information only applies to the full install of the 32-bit edition of Office Outlook 2010. There is currently not a process for the 64-bit version. Also, the method described below will not work if using the "Click to Run"version of Office 2010.

1. Close ACT! and Outlook.
  2. Right-click the appropriate .xml preferences file for your region from the File Attachments area at the bottom of this document [click the above link for this download., and then click Save Target As from the shortcut menu. A Save As dialog box appears.[Click the above link for this download. I wasn't able to cut and paste it as described in step 4 below, but I was able to simply replace the existing file with this corrected one. And I had to search "hidden" folders to find it.]
  3. Click the drop-down arrow at the Save in field, browse to your Windows� Desktop, (do not rename this file), and then click Save.
  4. Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and browse to the following version specific folder:
    • Windows� XP: C:\Documents and Settings\{User_Name}\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 12)\Preferences
    • Windows Vista� & Windows� 7: C:\Users\{User_Name}\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Preferences
  5. Locate and rename the .xml file to end with a .old extension. For example, USPreferences206.xml would be renamed to USPreferences206.xml.old.
  6. Copy the .xml preferences file you downloaded to your desktop and paste into the Preferences directory.
  7. Launch ACT!, select Tools > Preferences >Email tab. Microsoft Outlook should now be the configured email system in ACT!.

As the full explanation linked explains, you still won't see "outlook" when you try to set up E-mail, but it works anyway.