Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reloading ACT Pro 2011

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Reloading ACT Pro 2011

My computer was stoleden and I am having trouple registering ACT after loading on my new laptop with Windows 7.  I have recieved the "Answer ID 13727" and am following the instructions.  When I get to where it tells me to change KGyGaAvL.sys to KGyGaAvL.old i cannot find a file by that name.  Can anyone provide assistance on what to try next?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Reloading ACT Pro 2011

Hi Dean

Have you made sure that the "Show hidden files and folders" option is enabled under your view options for windows explorer?  If its not enabled then you wont see a number of files needed to carry out the suggested solutions in the KB that Greg provided you.

Generally I find the Damaged Windows System file to do with the protexis the most common with this sort of error.

I've also found that you man need to replace the protexis file.  Please see here: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23027/kw/protexis

for the steps on how to do this.

It does require editing your registry, so please be sure to make a back up of your registry before you begin.

Kind regards

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi There

When you say you are having trouble loading ACT on your new windows 7 notebook, do you mean you can't get act to install properly?  Or that you can't access your database, but act is installed?

Also, which version of act are you using?

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

I am running ACT Pro 2011.  The software loads but when I try to register it a message comes up stating "Unable to register ACT".  This message is displayed in trying to register via the Internet or the phone".  I try to register by email I have gotten a response from Sage in an email saying my activation code is incorrect.

As mentioned previously, I have also tried to go through the process provided in a document (#13727) that Sage provide and found that when I get to the step to rename some files that those files are not present.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Dean

Platinum Super Contributor

Dean,
If you can send me your serial number (use Private Message: click on my Community user name > select 'Send Private Message in right column), I will check it for registration limit.
Greg Martin
Sage

I see the serial number is definitely 2011 Pro.  I've checked the registration limit and you had not reached it (I've reset it anyway). 

- Verify the version installed: open Sage ACT! > Help > About ACT! - what is version and build number?

- Do you have Windows Adminstrator level authority?  If not, do you have an IT department that has the Admin credentials? 

- If you have Windows Admin authority, try: close Sage ACT! > right click on Sage ACT! icon > select 'Run as administrator' > attempt to register

- Check for Windows service 'Protexis Licensing V2', if not Started > right click on it and select Start.  (Services: click Windows Start button > enter 'services.msc' into Search field > press Enter key). If you had to start it, attempt to register.

- Check for file 'RegistrationData.xml' in folder "C:\ProgramData\ACT\ActData".  If present, delete it, then attempt to register.

- Check for file 'KGyGaAvL.sys' in folder "C:\ProgramData', if present delete it.  Also look for 10 character .sys file (see article link).

Note: The Kgy* and RegistrationData.xml files shouldn't have been created yet, if you have not been able to register, but check for them anyway.

Here is an article with more in-depth instructions: KB Article 14245

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

I have tried everything suggested and it still says I cannot use the software following when I put in the serial number.  Any other assistance you may be able to provide would be appreciated.

Dean

BTW - I can not get to the About Act area because it has the screen for registering and I'm not able to go beyond that.

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Dean

Have you made sure that the "Show hidden files and folders" option is enabled under your view options for windows explorer?  If its not enabled then you wont see a number of files needed to carry out the suggested solutions in the KB that Greg provided you.

Generally I find the Damaged Windows System file to do with the protexis the most common with this sort of error.

I've also found that you man need to replace the protexis file.  Please see here: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23027/kw/protexis

for the steps on how to do this.

It does require editing your registry, so please be sure to make a back up of your registry before you begin.

Kind regards

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

Cherie,

Thanks for the tip regarding the "hidden" files.  This allowed me to see the KGy file and after following the instructions I was able to use ACT again.  Thanks for your help!

Greg,

I have now been sucessful in getting ACT to work based on the suggestions you and other had.  Thanks for all your help.

Dean

Dean,
Glad to hear you are up and running! Thank you for the update.
Greg Martin
Sage