Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reinstalling Question

Copper Contributor

Reinstalling Question

[ Edited ]

We have two Act users - myself, and a remote user that syncs into me via Hamachi VPN.

I had to reinstall Act on my computer - what is the proper way to get the database setup? 

I have all my old act files from our computer backup. Since the remote user syncs into my computer, I need to determine the proper way to get the database set up again - is it just a matter of cutting and pasting my database files from the computer backup?

We are running Act Pro 2012 on Windows 7.

Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Reinstalling Question

From your backup files, you'll need to locate the database ADF, ALF, and 'databasename-database files' folder.  These will need to be placed on your computer and opened using the ADF file.  This will recreate the PAD file.  That should retain the sync connection information.

Depending on what changes occurred to your computer, you may have to update the remote database with new connection information.  Here is an article which describes the steps for moving a database and retaining synchronization: KB Article 19817

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thank you! These articles have been incredibly helpful - I would never have guessed to find this one.

Is there any way to browse the articles rather than search by keyword? I don;t know how I would ever find this one unless I got lucky with a keyword search...

Platinum Super Contributor

Glad to hear the articles have been helpful!

Leaving the keywords area blank and clicking Search will bring up a list of all articles; however, we have articles supporting several products within the Knowledgebase... so browsing them all may not be the best method.
You can click on the 'Advanced Search' option (just above the keywords area) and narrow down the products displayed.
I would still recommend entering a keyword, such as 'database', 'sync', or 'remote' to further narrow the search; there are several thousand articles available.
Greg Martin
Sage