Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reinstalling .PAD files after computer crash on Act 2005 For Windows Version 7

Reinstalling .PAD files after computer crash on Act 2005 For Windows Version 7

Hi, I had a computer crash and I have Act 2005 Ver 7. I had all my databases saved as .pad files but my reinstalled Act will not read them. Is it because I had to register my Act that it won’t read my backed up old files. There are on a DVD.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Reinstalling .PAD files after computer crash on Act 2005 For Windows Version 7

First, this is posted to the wrong board. The PAD file is only a pointer to the database, it's not the database. the database files are the ADF and ALF files. The complete database also includes the support files such as templates, reports, etc.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Re: Reinstalling .PAD files after computer crash on Act 2005 For Windows Version 7

The .PAD file, is as Roy says, only the pointer file, it is the .ADF and .ALF files that make up the SQL data of the database, plus you r will find associated subdirectories with the attachements etc.

Assuming that you did not delete any of the above files, simply opn the .ADF from the File..Open Database command in ACT!. This will recreate the .PAD file for you.

You should also always make sure you have a backup of the database (created by ACT!) so that restores are possible.

Not sure why Roy said this was the wrong area, it is posted to the ACT! 7 and above forum.

It was originally posted in the ACT! 6 area.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Super Contributor

Note: You mention that the files are on a DVD.  You will need to copy them to the local harddrive before attempting to open.
Greg Martin
Sage