Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reinstalling Act 2006

Reinstalling Act 2006

I am attempting to reinstall my 2006 version on my Desktop, and experiencing a problem.

I keep getting this message:"The version of Act you are installing is older than your current version. You must uninstall the ccurrent version befor you can continue".

Entering the Control Panel and using "Add or Remove "I find I have ACT 2008 which was a demo, and when trying to uninstall it, I get an Error Message 1721

'Contact your support personnel or package Vendor. Action _D7BB8E6B_B2E3_46C1_8E27_BD34FF900805, location C:\Program Files\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\PSI Service_2Exe Command:/delete.

For further info: I installed 2006 on my Laptop with no problem at all (It has Vista). Both computers have ACT 6 installed "which is the love of my life"  and contains a large contact database. I managed to convert contact to 2006 eventually, and wanted to do the same on my Desktop.

Never liked 2006 version, because of difficulties we experienced in converting, hence we stayed with Act 6, but we have to move on.

Is it possible any one can help to overcome this problem, it would be greatly appreciated ?.

Fred Grieve   

Re: Reinstalling Act 2006

I have been experiencing a similar problem. After deleting 2006 Version 8.0.2.82 from my desktop running XP Professional, I decided to reinstall it. After deciding this was a big mistake; Act is the best contact manager hands down, I reinstalled it from the original 2006 disk on problem. Then tried to upgrade to 2006 Version 8.0.2.82 and I keep getting the message “can’t find previous install”. I spent two days trying to figure it out to no avail. I had given up until I saw this post. Any ideas or thoughts?

Rick

Nickel Elite Contributor

Folks,

At this point I think your best bet is to log into ACT.com and search the knowledgebase for the ACT! Unintstall utility.

Run through the steps specified, then attempt your reinstallation of the product.

Please post your results.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

I down loaded the ACT! Uninstall utility. And followed the steps in the knowledge base to the tee many times and continue to get the same message. I have basically given up. I have searched all over the web trying to find a fix for two days. They all point to what you say but it will not in stall the upgrade. The 2006 works fine. I need the company features in the up grade. I run the 2006 Version 8.0.2.82 on my notebook and it runs fine.
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]
I am not sure what you are asking for.  You have indicated that you are running ACT! 2006 8.0.2.82, which is the latest in that edition of the product.  What upgrade are you speaking of?
Message Edited by MMcFadden on 02-15-2009 12:09 PM
Matthew McFadden

As advised I used the Knowledge Base and sucessfully uninstalled the remanents of the ACT 8.0

However I have tried to reinstall 2006 using the Installation CD and it will not install. The Install Wizards starts then stalls going back to the opening window, I have repeated the process several times to no avail.

Exasperated

Nickel Elite Contributor

I am afraid I don't know what you mean. 

Is this the installation wizard, or the setup wizard of the product?

It must give you some sort of error message if it is during the actual installation process.

What happens if you copy the entire content of the CD to the local hard drive (to some scratch directory) and try installing it from there?  Is this possibly bad media at this point?

thanks

Matthew McFadden

The Installation Wizard
Nickel Elite Contributor

What happens when you copy the CD media locally on the hard drive and begin the process from there?
Matthew McFadden

Absoloutly nothing, Oh, why, why, why has Sage made this wonderful program so complex ?.

I've used Act since 1990, with now problems whatsoever, until 2006 was introduced.

Concerned that there may have been some corruption on the Installtion CD , so I checked on my Laptop and it works fine.