Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reinstalling ACT 2010 problem with sql

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Reinstalling ACT 2010 problem with sql

I had to delete & reinstall and ran into an issue upon reinstall with following message:

ACT! Installer has detected that the ACT7 instance is either not running or disabled.\n\nSystem.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service MSSQL$ACT7 on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
   at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.CheckSQLStatus(String strUser, String strPassword, String srcPath, String strBuildType, String strBldProduct)

Upon trying to restart the SQL Server (ACT7) I get the following message:

Windows could not start the SQL Server (ACT7) service on local computer

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Next I tried to install ACT7 and was told to find 

sqlrun_sql.msi which of course In can't find.

Anybody have an idea of what to do next???

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bgontarek
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Reinstalling ACT 2010 problem with sql

Manual installation of SQL ACT7 instance solved the problem.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

It's a Windows 7x64 machine and Act is installed on a separate drive from the core (C) drive.

Copper Super Contributor

I got ACT7 installed & it let me reinstall Act 2010 but when I try to open my database it says, "The database could not be accessed...," and if I try to restore a backup I get,

"Act.Data.DatabaseAccessException:Failed To Open A Connection To the Database--> Act.Data.ActDBException: Login failed for user "ACTACCESS"--> System.Data.SqlClientException: Login failed for user "ACTACCESS"

Plus a whole lot more that won't allow a cut & paste. I suspect I made some sort of error in reinstalling the SQL server but I'm at a loss to figure out what.

Any ideas??

Bronze Contributor

IMHO this problem is with a couple of things

a) DOT Net 4 is on the machine - try removing

b) MSXML Service Packs try removing

Then try a reinstall after fully removing SQL

Failing this you could try looking up ACTACCESS in the KB

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Super Contributor

Removed as recommended & went to registry level to insure everything was a blank slate but I must be missing something. Tried to reinstall but got the following message:

ACT! Installer has detected that the ACT7 instance is either not running or disabled.\n\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\ACT!2010\SQLEXPR.exe' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
   at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.InstallSQL2005(String SourcePath, String ACTPath, String Param, String strSAPWD, Boolean InstallSP)
   at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.PrepareAndInstallSQL2005(String strSrcPath, String strSQLPath, String strACTPath, String strSQLAccount, String strSQLCollation, Boolean IsSPNeeded)

ACT! Installer has detected that the ACT7 instance is either not running or disabled.\n\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\ACT!2010\SQLEXPR.exe' is denied.   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)   at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)   at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.InstallSQL2005(String SourcePath, String ACTPath, String Param, String strSAPWD, Boolean InstallSP)   at PrereqCommon.SQLMethods.PrepareAndInstallSQL2005(String strSrcPath, String strSQLPath, String strACTPath, String strSQLAccount, String strSQLCollation, Boolean IsSPNeeded)

Solution
Accepted by topic author bgontarek
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Manual installation of SQL ACT7 instance solved the problem.