Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reinstalled Windows XP but cannot reinstall ACT?

Copper Contributor

Reinstalled Windows XP but cannot reinstall ACT?

[ Edited ]

One of our computers was acting up so badly that I had to reinstall Windows.  But when I try to install ACT 2010 I get this message:

ACT has detected an ACT7 instance that could not be connected successfully. Either you have entered incorrect password or SQL service may not be running. The installation cannot continue at this time. Please run installer again and provide a valid password or make sure that SQL(ACT7) instance s running and then continue installation."

I have manually reinstalled SQL 2005, and .NET 2.0 to no avail.  I have manually removed all references to ACT in My Documents, Program Files, and SQL to no avail.  Any other ideas?

I cannot reformat the hard drive and start over once again as the computer has UPS and Fedex software on it that takes days to get working correctly (they had to send tech help to get their stuff working again).  I might just have to set up a second computer for ACT?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Reinstalled Windows XP but cannot reinstall ACT?

Bob,

The primary reason I found for this was that there was some keys in the registry that were not removed. You might check with the kB www.act.com/support/kb and there are many answers to your problem.

I generally use a tool like CC cleaner after I have done the remove before a reinstall.

The other file I find can be a problem is that the MSXML6 Parser has a update entry inadd/removeprograms. Uninstall this and it will generally install

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Trying to remove MSXML 6 SP 2 gets a "Fatal error during installation" error.  Its still not working. 

Reinstalling Windows is not a good idea, its better to reformat the hard drive.

Copper Super Contributor

Hi

There is a special uninstaller which wipes all trace of the previous Act installation, including the sql sequence and the parser files.  It is available for download from the Act knowledgebase.

Also when you have run the uninstaller try loading Act either in Safe mode which means all the background cprograms on your computer are shut down for a while (to get there you go: start: run: msconfig: check safe mode box)  or by shutting off any antivirus software.

I Have done it a fair few times, the uninstaller usually gets a good clean installation and then reinstall with all antivirus off.  Safe mode is a bit of a last resort but if all else fails, uninstall, run uninstaller, then reinstall in safe mode.

No need for anything as drastic as reformating drives or using another computer.

Copper Contributor

Install and Uninstall do not work in safe mode or in normal mode. 

The ACT uninstaller error message is 'Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue....... 

Though matter what you click it does not continue.  If you want I can upload the details error message, it is over a page in length.

Copper Super Contributor

Bob, I know normal install and uninstall dont work in safe mode. I wasnt talking about the normal uninstall which you do through the control panel I was talking about a special uninstaller program download from the knowledgebase which wipes all trace of the act installation. When you have wiped the machine with the special uninstaller then I suggest you switch off antivirus and put in your disc to reinstall. If that won't work then you can run the install disc in safe mode.

So step one - go to control panel and uninstall
Step 2 download and run special uninstaller
Step 3 switch off antivirus put in disc and install
Step 4 If not loaded then rerun step 1 & 2 and try installing disc in safe mode.
Let me know who you get on.
Ladybt28
Copper Contributor

I was running the 'special uninstall program' downloaded from the knowledgebase.  Do you want to see a screen shot?act uninstaller

Copper Super Contributor

Sorry bob, Screen shot not much help and cannot read the error message can you post the error message so I can see it?
Copper Contributor

It has been my experience for the last few years that after a few weeks we give up and do a fresh install of windows on a new hard drive as reinstalling Windows and then getting ACT to work again is nearly impossible......

If you save that picture on your desktop, then open it , it is readable.  I will try again.

act uninstaller

Copper Super Contributor

Bob,

Not sure I can help anymore as I am no a tech person but an Act user for over 10 years some of them with no support package so install and uninstall errors have been very common.  Obviously I cannot see what is going on as you go through but first things springs to mind (sorry if you have already said and I wasnt paying attention...)

1. what happens if you click continue and then try to reinstall

2.  What happens when you go to control panel and click repair, or try and reinstall over the top of the existing program.

3.  Go to the web and look for Sage Knowledgebase articles as follows:

(a) object reference not set as an instance of an object error - article ID 24350

(b) manually remove .net framework ID 19620 - not recommending this.

(c) uninstalling Act  ID 25185

It may be that by trying to do a manual uninstall of Act you have inadvertantly removed something from the main registry which has damaged another part of the computer and will not allow uninstall/install process. There is a knowledgebase article to manually uninstall Act Knowledge base ID 25179 but I have to say I have never ever gone down this route nor have I had to.  I have always managed to get it off the machine by the means outlined previously.  I would not have attempted a manual uninstall without phone guidance.

I take it you do not have any support package otherwise you would not be asking on the forum.  Other than what I have suggested and the articles above I will not be able to help further.. it is now out my league.  Someone who knows more than me might come to your rescue.  Emailing Mike Lazerus of GL Computing (He also posts on a tech forum...do an internet search) is what I have done when stuck before.

Having said what I have said, you have already had to do a factory default reset so apart from the other UPS and Fedex programes which sound as much of a pain as Act, you probably cannot screw your system anymore than it already is.

It might be worth cleaning down and starting again despite the UPS issue.