Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reinstall of Act 2011 - Open Database

Reinstall of Act 2011 - Open Database

Due to computer issues I had to reformat my c drive as well as reinstall Windows.  Therefore I lost my install of ACT 2011. 

I was able to backup my entire directory structure before I had to reformat and reinstall Windows. 

I have reinstalled Act 2011.  I also took the database directory off the external storage and placed it on my c:\ drive.  When I attempt to open the database in ACT 2011 by navigating to the .pad file it gives me the attached error message.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Act Error Message.jpg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Reinstall of Act 2011 - Open Database

Hello mbarsvp,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. This may be due to an issue with the .pad file.
- Close ACT!
- Browse to the location of your database and delete the .pad file for the database (i.e., mydatabase.pad) - small 1 KB file
- Reopen ACT! and you may get a message that the last opened database cannot be located - click ok
- Go to File > Open Database
- On the Open screen, change the "Files of type" from (.PAD) to (.ADF)
- Browse to the location of your database and open the .ADF file for your database (i.e., mydatabase.adf)

If this does not open the database, then please see the following Knowledgebase article for additional causes/solutions:
http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640/kw/19640

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greig,

Thank you for your reply.  Unfortunately that did not work.  However, I did look at the knowledgebase article.  One of the solutions was to verify that SQL Server (ACT) is running in services.  When I look in Services there are no SQL Server options, which I suspect indicate an install issue.  I looked in my programs and features and noticed two SQL installs, one - SQL 2005 Compact Edition and the other SQL R2 Setup, which I assume is from the ACT instal.

Would you have any idea on what would be preventing SQL from installing correctly?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sometimes old SQL files will interfere with a current install. I would go ahead and uninstall ACT!, uninstall any applications that start with "Microsoft SQL Server...", reboot your machine, then run the full ACT! install again.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.