Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reinstall Act Pro 18 Without Losing Settings?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Reinstall Act Pro 18 Without Losing Settings?

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to Act, so this is likely a simple question, but I have to ask.

Can you uninstall Act Pro v18 and re-install it while saving the settings to bypass the initial configuration?

I simply want the user fields and similar settings to stay as-is if possible. Also, will I need to do anything with the serial, or could I just re-enter it since it will be on the same PC? Thank you in advance for any help. It is much appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author aarcese579
‎08-25-2016 02:30 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Reinstall Act Pro 18 Without Losing Settings?

The user fields are part of the database, and aren't effected by uninstalling / reinstalling Act!

But you really should do a backup of the database first - File | Backup | Database
Why do you want to do this?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author aarcese579
‎08-25-2016 02:30 PM

The user fields are part of the database, and aren't effected by uninstalling / reinstalling Act!

But you really should do a backup of the database first - File | Backup | Database
Why do you want to do this?

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the information.

The reason that I want to do this is that one of our users has a weird issue where she will enter a new contact into the database and at random times while she is doing so, the entry just goes blank and disappears.

On occasion, it will switch over to another profile. When that happens it is always the same profile. We tried updating to the latest Act Service Packs and looked for hotfixes for this issue, but I haven't had any luck finding other instances of it occurring.

I discussed it with my supervisor and we thought a re-install could be worth testing. In case you have seen that before, there was one occasion where an error message showed up. I'm attaching it just in case you've seen it. Thanks again for your help.

This is on a shared database?
Is the database on this user's machine or another one?
Have you also done all Windows updates?
Is the contact available if you look at the database on another machine?

That's not one I've seen before, unless you have an add-on or are synchronising the Act! contacts with something that's having issues.

It is a shared database. The database is on what will soon be our new domain controller. That PC has not been reporting to our WSUS server. I know how to fix it, but have been told to hold off on implementing the fix. I'll push to get the authorization to do so and see if that helps.

As far as I know, nothing else on that PC is having issues. Our 2nd user has not had any issues like this, so I believe it may be the client, for that reason. Does that seem like a reasonable assumption to you?