Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reinstall ACT2005

Reinstall ACT2005

I recently had to reinstall Windows XP on my PC.   I have been unable to reinstall ACT 2005.  I get the following error message - "1628 Unable to install InstallSheild".  The install program completes 90+% of the installation before the error message shows.  Any Recommendations?

Beyond the above problem, I thought I had all of my programs backed up, but the hard drive software (Seagate) has no provision to restore.  I do have copies of  the databases files -  *.ADF , *.ALF and *.PAD  that are my primary database.  Are these files sufficient to restore or open my database?

Thank you for any assistance.

tofriedel

Silver Contributor

Re: Reinstall ACT2005

Given that the version that you have is 6 versions out of date, and that there are significant fixes and improvements, I would definitely upgrade to ACT 2010.  From the sound of things you have your database, and you may save enough time NOT fussing with a difficult version to justify your investment.  Take a look at the Sage ACT website, you will see some significant savings there.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Jon,

Thank you for the response.  I do have ACT!2005 installed on another PC, but I cannot access my database.  Is there a way to open my database since I do not have a backup for that database?

Thank You,

tofriedel

Silver Contributor

You could move the database to the other Machine and try reattaching to SQL there or you could try opening the database directily from the other machine..  If you choose to move it, you will need to copy the .alf, the .adf, and the suplemental files folder.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider