Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reinstall ACT to new PC - no CD

Reinstall ACT to new PC - no CD

My old PC was so slow with ACT especially that I decided to get a new WIn7 64-bit system.  I had acquired the upgrade download from ACT2006 to ACT2010.  I still have the 2010 download file but I think I remember it had to have 2006 installed which I don't want to do with the new install. 

Can you direct me to where I can download the most current version (assuming my current license will work with that?  I would liek a clean install on this new PC so ACT has a chance to run optimally, however reading some of the posts here, I'm about ready to scrap that idea and go to SalesForce.

Thanks

Bronze Contributor

Re: Reinstall ACT to new PC - no CD

I really am pretty certain that the upgrade that you purchased does not look for the older version.  If you have the ACT! 2010 download file, go ahead and install it.  Once it's working and you've activated it, simply go to HELP, ACT! Update and it will check it there are any updates and offer to download and apply them - such as Service Pack 1.  Good luck.

Signature
Silver Contributor

Kevin is correct, your upgrade version of ACT will not look to see if a prior version of ACT is installed.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks for advice.  I figured better to check first as I knew 2006 would probably go nuts installing to 64 bit sys.

Bronze Contributor

Check out Knowledgebase article 23023 re: installing to 64-bit OS.

Bottom Line - the ACT! installation files only include 32-bit .Net - follow the kb article to download and install the 64-bit .Net before you install ACT! and you'll save yourself some time and interruption.

Signature

Are you sure about needing to do this .NET install?  I read the microsoft page and it only talks about Win 2003 Server and XP - no mention of this applying to Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Sorry, I am ignorant to what the .NET stuff is for or how to tell what is on my system already.  Is .NET framework something part of Windows or something that ACT is installing?

Thanks for the advice!!

I just saw that .NET Framework 4.0 is available and the 3.5 wa the version first to support Win 7.  It also says .NET 3.5 loads with Win 7.  Trying now to figure out what version is actually installed if any.

Bronze Contributor

You know, you could be right about not needing to install that manually.  Don't worry about .Net versions - ACT! wants a specific version and no other version will do and part of the installation process is a thorough checking.  Go ahead and do your install - if it completes successfully, then you didn't need to do that install.

Signature
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello mtoalson,
In regards to .NET, installing 64-bit only refers to a Windows 2003 Server 64-bit that is currently running a 32-bit version of .NET. If this was the case, then you get a prompt during the installation. This does not sound like this would be the case in your situation. Go ahead and do a normal install of ACT! 2010, then open your 2006 database in 2010 to convert it.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.