Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reindexing ACT v6 database for import to ACT 10.0

Reindexing ACT v6 database for import to ACT 10.0

Hi all,

I'm currently attempting to open an old ACT database, in .dbf format, with ACT 10.0. This database was brought in by an office user from his previous office, which used an older version of ACT - I believe version 6, but don't know for sure. When I attempt to open the .dbf file in ACT, I am taken to the Database Conversion Wizard, which then complains that "The database cannot open because one or more files are missing. Re-index the datbase and open the database again." However, we do not have ACT v6 in our office, so I cannot open the database to re-index, and as far as I can tell the ACT!diag tool included in ACT 10.0 will only work with SQL databases, not older .dbf files.

So my question is: how can I go about re-indexing the database so I can open in ACT 10.0? I am unable to contact his old office to have them re-index, so I'm on my own on this one. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Best,

Nick

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Reindexing ACT v6 database for import to ACT 10.0

If all you have is the database DBF file then you don't have a complete database. If so then you have only the name and address information and not of the notes or history. You can import the DBF file to get that information.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Ah, ok; thanks for the information. So if I needed to access the entire ACT db, with notes and history, I would need to contact his old office? What files would constitute the entire database - .adf or some other?

Thanks,

Nick

Platinum Elite Contributor

All the files with the database name, there should be at least 25 files for ACT! 6.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Great; thank you for the help.

Best,

Nick