Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reformat phone numbers in multiple records

Reformat phone numbers in multiple records

Trying to reformat phone numbers in multiple records at once in 2009 version help!

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Reformat phone numbers in multiple records

I for one, will watch this thread with great interest Smiley Happy

So no ideas?

Bronze Super Contributor

Not really.

Well, actually, I've used Auto Hot Key in the past and written scripts to do a whole pile of clicking for me... but it's a kludgey workaround, not a real solution.

Ben.

Silver Super Contributor

There are a several ways to do it.  One is to copy the contents of the phone field that you want to reformat into another field, set the default format for the phone field and then copy them all back.  You can use the Edit | Copy function on the edit menu in ACT! to do it but be careful because if you copy the wrong way you can potentially lose data.

The second one is to use something like MacroExpress (similar to Auto Hot Key but my preferred tool).

The third and the easiest solution is to use one of my addons called FixPhoneMasks which will actually make all of the phone numbers in all of the phone number fields match the default setting for the phone mask and potentially fix other issues with the phone numbers stored in the database.

If you're interested in getting a copy of the addon contact me off line.

No matter which method you choose (including my addon) make SURE you have a good backup before doing something that can make a significant number of changes to your ACT! database.  I haven't had any issues with that addon but better safe than sorry.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Bronze Elite Contributor

Bronze Super Contributor

Vivek,

good kb. I think that that KB might be the answer for the original poster.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the country codes. 

Just tested that in the demo database, works for reformating the numbers and applying the field mask.

I've tested this with both the MY RECORD  country set to Australia, and without,

and both variants above with the contact records having their country set to Australia.

It still insists on setting the country code to [1] (USA) instead of [61] (Australia) even tho I've set the country code and the contact country is Australia.

This is a pain because when you sync to a mobile device, it won't dial the numbers correctly. It actually become a time waster, not a time saver.

Would love a tool that would reset the country codes based on the contacts country field.

The following SQL is close but doesn't quite do the job.

UPDATE Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_PHONEMASK

SET Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_PHONEMASK.COUNTRYID = '61'

From 
Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_CONTACT 
Inner Join Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_ADDRESS On Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_ADDRESS.CONTACTID = Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_CONTACT.CONTACTID 
Inner Join Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_PHONE On Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_PHONE.CONTACTID = Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_CONTACT.CONTACTID 
Inner Join Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_PHONEMASK On Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_PHONE.PHONEMASKID = Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_PHONEMASK.PHONEMASKID 
Inner Join Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_COUNTRY On Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_PHONEMASK.COUNTRYID = Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_COUNTRY.COUNTRYID

Where
Act2012Demo.dbo.TBL_ADDRESS.COUNTRYNAME = 'Australia'

Ben.