Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Redesign Time - Fields and Performance Question

Bronze Contributor

Redesign Time - Fields and Performance Question

I have about 100 fields that I'm no longer using.  Most are yes/no and the rest are fixed field length.  The data that was collected is no longer needed (and I have made a backup of the db to maintain an archive of that data)

Once deleted, I will need to create a total of 60 character fields that will be linked to an equal number of contact fields, just as before.  I can't use the previous fields because most are going from Yes/no to character.

Will the performance of the db be maintained or improved if I remove and then add the new fields or just delete the fields from the layout and add new fields as desired?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Redesign Time - Fields and Performance Question

Hello John,
Are talking about deleting the fields from the layout or from the database? I don't think you will see a noticeable difference in performance either way. Just be sure to run database maintenance from the Tools menu in ACT! after removing the fields and data.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Redesign Time - Fields and Performance Question

Thanks.  I was talking about deleting the fields fro the db and then re-creating. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit