Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Redesign Time - Fields and Performance Question

Bronze Contributor

Redesign Time - Fields and Performance Question

I have about 100 fields that I'm no longer using.  Most are yes/no and the rest are fixed field length.  The data that was collected is no longer needed (and I have made a backup of the db to maintain an archive of that data)

Once deleted, I will need to create a total of 60 character fields that will be linked to an equal number of contact fields, just as before.  I can't use the previous fields because most are going from Yes/no to character.

Will the performance of the db be maintained or improved if I remove and then add the new fields or just delete the fields from the layout and add new fields as desired?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Redesign Time - Fields and Performance Question

Hello John,
Are talking about deleting the fields from the layout or from the database? I don't think you will see a noticeable difference in performance either way. Just be sure to run database maintenance from the Tools menu in ACT! after removing the fields and data.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Redesign Time - Fields and Performance Question

Thanks.  I was talking about deleting the fields fro the db and then re-creating. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013